Mac OS X Mailserver

ToyMakerii

Registered
Alright, this is a bit specific but I think it may help a few people if answered. Heres the situation:

I have a domain name that I bought (call it Toymaker.com) and what I want to do is have my G4 PowerMac get emails directly from the internet sent to user at that domain i.e. me@toymaker.com Then I want people to be able to access my mac like a pop server (or maybe IMAP that seems to be more fitting but I dont know much about that stuff) and download their emails (and no one elses)

I am running the internet to AirPort and Airport to an iMac then the iMac to a router (over ethernet) and from there into my G4 (where the work is to be done)

This is what I think I should have to do let me know where I am wrong.

=>I think I am just going to tell the router that my G4 should be in the =>DMZ and I should tell the AirPort the same thing (right??) that way the =>internet can access it directly.

=>Then I think I need to tell someone (a DNS or ICANN maybe?!?! who??) =>what the ip address is of my G4. (this should be the same as the ip =>address given from my ISP because the G4 would be in a DMZ is that =>right??) That way The emails go straght from the world directly to my =>G4 instead of through my ISP ( so direct email instead of having it =>forwarded)

=>Then I am going to need some sort of software to handle the email
=>from the internet and handle users connecting and downloading it.

The end result should be that I will tell users to set up their mail program to say:

Out Going mailserver? smtp.toymaker.com
Incomming Mailserver? mail.toymaker.com

It would also be nice to beable to have SSL active in the process.

Ok, that should be all I think. Let me know if I missed something Thanks A bunch!!

I'm tired so if I don't answer the question properly, bear with me.

I didn't see you state if that you would be hosting the mail server but it sounded as if you'll have a server at home fetching it from a remote box. If so, that's exactly how I host my email - a web host has my domain name and a POP email server. I have my email server, at home, configured to use Fetch Mail from the remote server every <x> minutes.

My other systems at home then connect to this server for mail usage. It's been a while and I'd have to review the configuration if you had a specific question but it's doable. Now I do differ on one aspect. I'm using ClarkConnect as my gateway (router), mail server, firewall, etc. It's pretty slick - www.clarkconnect.com.

Hope that helps.

It seems as though toymakerii may not realise that he has to host a mail server at all. Setting up an incoming mail server is not the simplest thing to do, and many ISPs will block your mail ports anyway. Then you have to contend with dynamic IP mapping, relay authentication, and a plethora of other things.

I would give this a try and see if it helps, there are already several guides on setting up mailers there.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/search.php

Back