Mac OS X on a Non-Apple Machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapherous

Registered
The other day i was browsing through some sites... and i found this video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7540321621291755467

and this article: http://profit42.com/vaiovsmacbook.php

so ... my questions is... is it possible to buy mac os x tiger installation cds and just put them in an intel core duo machine?... i was thinking of getting a mac book pro but I've read a lot of complains claiming that apple uses bad quality products... so i was thinking of buying a sony vaio with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 / ICD 2.0 GHz (64-bits) and installing mac os x ... is it possible to just buy the installation cds and place them in a computer and install?... i'd like to know

as of now, Apple does not offer the Mac OSX install discs for intel machines. However, even if apple did offer them for sale, or if you borrowed your friend's install disc, it will not install onto a non apple machine without hacking it first.

Just to clarify, Apple does not sell an OS X install set for any Intel system, even Apple's own. All you can get from Apple is restore sets, that will only work on the individual Mac systems that use them.

This site does not provide support for illegally hacking OS X for use on non-Apple platforms.

Apple doesn't use bad quality parts. Probably whoever told you that, owned a Rev. 1 iMac G5 - which were notorious for crashing due to the capacitor problem that hit most computer companies. If you had bought a Dell GX-270 a few years ago you'd see the same problems. Hell, if you bought a first generation Sony Viao, you'd swear off Sony too :)

Apple uses good parts in my opinion. Their prices are getting much better (when you compare an equally capable machine). Lastly, they definately bring more to the table than any other computer manufacturer. Even if you have no intention of running Mac OS X, they are a great machine to buy.

To be fair, my only beef with Apple is that they absolutely rape you for replacing the parts when things fail outside warranty. (ie. Replacing a cracked LCD) And when things DO fall under a warranty replacement they very frequently use refurb parts. But many other manufacturerrs do this too - doesn't make it right but. .. oh well.

I see this thread eventually being closed mainly because it's against the board rules of the forum. The more it gets discussed, the more likelihood of this being closed. Please check out the forum rules before asking such questions.

(For the record, I'm not a moderator but this is what has happened in the past...be forewarned.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back