Mac Os X Server Tiger 10.4

suchi

Registered
am an os x newbie but pretty comfortable with bsd and linux.

have following environment of server cluster catering to linux + mac mini clients]

server side:
1. openbsd pf firewall-router
2. linux postfix mailserver
3. linux webserver
3. linux file + application server

have got a new xserve g5 i want to integrate as alternate failover file + application server.

how do i get the xserve to offer a graphical remote log on screen to my linux terminals like my linux fa server?

have configured x11 on xserve, but understand that x runs on top of 3 custom apis - mac os, aqua [?] and quartz, and is not primary display for osx.

from linux, i am able to ssh into xserve, browse from cli et al, but am unable to get remote gui auto logon screen.

mac minis have no prob getting logon screen from linux fa server, ie mac client to linux servers is smooth as silk, linux client to xserve defies all efforts...

suchi said:
from linux, i am able to ssh into xserve, browse from cli et al, but am unable to get remote gui auto logon screen.

mac minis have no prob getting logon screen from linux fa server, ie mac client to linux servers is smooth as silk, linux client to xserve defies all efforts...

Tiger Server can not function as a "terminal server" or "application server" in the sense that Linux can (with xdm, etc.). I stood up myself at WWDC and requested "Tiger Terminal Server". We deploy many Windows and Linux terminal servers at our shop and I would KILL for a Tiger Terminal Server. No Joy.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear. You may be able to do something with Darwin, but you'd lose support for any of the Aqua apps and Apple's gui - you might as well just run Linux then.

thanx guys, figured that out myself too in the interim. multiple users logging into the xserve and getting a gui, using apps installed on the box is not possible...

tried with freebsd and linux, and both rock on the same hardware...

BTW can we run a lightweight window manager like xfce/afterstep/blackbox-fluxbox on top of x11 in os x ?

it's possible to get multiple sessions via the fast user switching + VNC on 10.4.

If you launch a VNC server in a terminal as a logged on user, then hit fast user switching, the machines display will return to the log-in window but the VNC server will still allow you to connect and interact with the desktop of the switched-out user.

If you have user 1 run their VNC server out of port 5901, user 2 run out of 5902, etc. then it is possible to have multiple sessions running concurrently. It chews the bandwidth, however.

so let me get this straight.. (relatively new to osx server capabilities)

in windows, you can use remote desktop connection to log into windows server software and administer the server remotely, and then use remote desktop on the logged in administrator to then connect to LAN computers and see whats going on there..

are you saying this ISN'T possible on osx tiger server?

ex: If I were to deploy a new office with 15 iMac's, 1 Xserve, and Apple Remote Desktop 3 on my MacBook, with an AirPort Extreme, and something went wrong on the server (or the iMacs), would I be able to remotely administer and solve the issue from my MacBook pro, in a coffee shop on wifi, or at my home office. ?

thanks!

so let me get this straight.. (relatively new to osx server capabilities)

in windows, you can use remote desktop connection to log into windows server software and administer the server remotely, and then use remote desktop on the logged in administrator to then connect to LAN computers and see whats going on there..

are you saying this ISN'T possible on osx tiger server?

ex: If I were to deploy a new office with 15 iMac's, 1 Xserve, and Apple Remote Desktop 3 on my MacBook, with an AirPort Extreme, and something went wrong on the server (or the iMacs), would I be able to remotely administer and solve the issue from my MacBook pro, in a coffee shop on wifi, or at my home office. ?

thanks!

HOWTO Use Your Mac From Anywhere. The video even shows you how to do securely and free.

Thanks, but if Apple Remote Desktop is already a VNC viewer, wouldn't that just work aswell?

Just watched this video, seems like a LOT of work to get this going properly. its nice that it displays controlling mac from windows, but, for the Mac Admins that want to remotely administer a server, or an office, does Apple Remote Desktop do that?

Back