Mac OS X's "Jaguar"

drustar

Gold Member
I recently visited Mac OS X's website on Apple and I found out that there will be a new release of OS X. They call it "Jaguar." (Well, it's code name is Jaguar.) My question is - will this be an upgrade or it's something that's going to be purchased as an OS X upgrade? If anyone can answer this question, it will be greatly appreciated.

I recommend going to the <b>Mac News & Rumors Discussion</b> section, where you'll find numerous threads concerning the upcoming Mac OS X upgrade.

Nope. It'll be either 10.2 or 10.5 and it'll be a payable upgrade like every full upgrade. 10.1 was an exception. The many new features of Jaguar make a full upgrade price more than acceptable.

For the record, it would be incredibly arrogant for Apple to charge for a 10.x upgrade...OSX is very much still a work-in-progress and Apple should be thankful that so many are using it as-is right now.

Originally posted by aluminum
I thought the only "dot-number" upgrade that apple charged for was 8.5...is that correct?

no. we all paid for the 10.1 update. unless you bought a new mac that already had it installed. but the 10.1 update was woth the $20. I would gladly pay another $20 for Jaguar.

They handed me and just about everybody else 10.1 Update for free in the store, No Questions Asked.

If you ordered online, then it was $20.

I don't think Apple should charge for updates to Jaguar yet. It's just now bringing back people expect from OS 9. When we're at the same speed/application/feature level as OS 9, then charge for future upgrades.

This new Jaguar sounds nice (with all new features: Sherlock, QuickTime), maybe I should finally upgrade. I hope the localized versions are soon available. And I hope its price is reasonable.

There seems to be a lot of people willing to pay apple for a .2 release. Am I alone in thinking that this is absurd? I'm all for paying for good software, and OSX is good...but far from being a 'finished' product. These enhancements, while nice, are by no means worthy of a full upgrade price.

I hope its free, but I would be willing to pay perhaps $20 - $40 for an upgrade. I can't justify paying full price for this update, given the features set it is supposed to have.

There seems to be a lot of people willing to pay apple for a .2 release. Am I alone in thinking that this is absurd? I'm all for paying for good software, and OSX is good...but far from being a 'finished' product. These enhancements, while nice, are by no means worthy of a full upgrade price.

Since when has an OS EVER been a 'finished' product? In fact, any piece of software? You only have to look at Versiontracker each day to see how many pieces of software - commercial, shareware or free - are still being upgraded by the developers. Software by its very nature will always be a work in progress, as one minor bug fix or new functionality may introduce new issues on each individual system.

I agree that 10.0 was perhaps a little... premature to be really called 'Final', and a lot of people described it as 'Public Beta 2'.
However, Apple have produced to date 8 (count 'em) 0.0.1 increment updates which were free to download, as well as apps like iPhoto , iTunes etc. Some people (including those of us not lucky enough to live anywhere near an Apple Store) had to pay 'shipping and handling' for 10.1, but didn't mind too much about that for the extra functionality it gave us. If Apple do a similar thing with 10.2, then I won't mind - it's certainly preferable to a 500 Meg download. I'll only have an issue with them if the only way Jaguar is available is as a full install that sets me back a ton or so...

As for Apple being 'thankful' that so many people are using OSX as it is right now, I have to say that I think that's a ridiculous statement. I don't get the impression that very many people on these boards are using OSX as a favour to Uncle Steve, or that they're in any way 'making do' with the current state of the OS. My revision A TiBook runs 10.1.4 flawlessy, and plenty speedy enough for me. OK, the beachball of death haunts me when I'm trying to do lots of things at once, but at least it doesn't crash ever. I wouldn't be able to use my laptop for work half as easily under Classic.

Mind you, this thread seems to have become a little like the other Jaguar threads, and like the 10.1 threads after it was announced at MWNY last year - lots of people complaining about stuff that they've only read about or seen tiny screenshots of. Lets wait for some facts before we start flaming, shall we?

SpyMac's gallery has a lot of Jaguar screen shots, including close ups of iChat. It all looks pretty cool! Their server is really lagging right now, though.

I thought the only "dot-number" upgrade that apple charged for was 8.5...is that correct?

I remember when they charged for Mac OS 7.6 (which sucked rocks), and then came out with Mac OS 8 a short time later. They made us pay for that too. A lot of people were burned by that.

With the size of the OS upgrades these days, I think it's unrealistic to limit the upgrade to people with broadband connections who can download it (ever tried to download 100MB on a modem? heh).

I like the way they did XPB and 10.1. You paid for the public beta, but got a reduced price to buy 10.0. You could pay for 10.1 if you wanted to, or you could just go down and pick up a copy for free. No downloads, and you have a physical copy for easy reinstalls.

I really hope that they don't decide to charge full price for a 10.2 or 10.5 or whatever the next upgrade will be. Yes, all OS's are kind of "works in progress" but everyone that I know is waiting for X to have everything feature-wise that 9 has, like spring-loaded folders, labels on HFS+ drives, etc.

I really miss labels :(

shrill said:
ever tried to download 100MB on a modem? heh
Actually, I just finished downloading the Developer Tools (231 MB) a day or two ago. A download manger (like iGetter, or wget from the command line) is very useful in this situation. Stop and restart downloads, woo hoo! ;)

Dang. That takes a couple hours on a good cable connection.

Hope your ISP doesn't charge you by the hour :D

WOW. Jaguar comes with handwriting recognition? That's cool.

And the OpenGL desktop .. Someone needs to hack that .. I want my windows to do a Z rotation as they shrink down into the dock.

It took me about 16-18 hours to download (that's total download time, I spent about three days off and on downloading).

And yes, my ISP has unlimited monthly hours.

if they charge for 10.2 i'm not buying it. i'll tell you outright i'l copy ot or download ti off some pyracy website. i've had enough of this pay for the unfinished os shit.

Back