Mac OSX 10.2.4 and Windows Millenium

It started well but it looks like you accidentally pasted it back into the buffer there after you hit Control-C. But that is OK that is what all the garbage in the second half is about.

Now did you try to access the computer from windows after you typed that into the terminal but before you pressed Control-C. I think the answer is yes but there is nothing recorded in the log so I cannot say for sure.

You time/date is messed up again though have you noticed it having the wrong time before? Does it lose track of the time when you shut it off or put it to sleep?

-Eric

Well what happened was this:

I pasted in the command as you said, saw aload of spewed lines as you said then waited.
But absolutely nothing happened and I still had control over the prompt.
Then I tried logging in from windows, actually three times but nothing appeared in the terminal.
Then I hit control C.
After that I pasted the command in again and tried logging in from windows once more.

As regards the date I think I've fixed it by finally locating where I input todays time and date. It was showing a time in 1970!
Cool.

Anyway Eric do you have any idea as to what's wrong and how I can fix it. I find it incredible that the claim is that I can sync to a windows machine no problem. I've had this headache now for three and a half months.

Thanks again

Steve.

Originally posted by wibwab
Well what happened was this:

I pasted in the command as you said, saw aload of spewed lines as you said then waited.
But absolutely nothing happened and I still had control over the prompt.

So the prompt came back instantly? That should not have happened it should have just sat there. Well you could have typed something bit it would not have taken it there should not have been a [Mac-G4:~] steveformosa% line.

Then I tried logging in from windows, actually three times but nothing appeared in the terminal.
Then I hit control C.
After that I pasted the command in again and tried logging in from windows once more.

Humm that sounds like you did the right thing.

As regards the date I think I've fixed it by finally locating where I input todays time and date. It was showing a time in 1970!
Cool.

Anyway Eric do you have any idea as to what's wrong and how I can fix it. I find it incredible that the claim is that I can sync to a windows machine no problem. I've had this headache now for three and a half months.

Yeah it is screwy you really should not be having these problems - something does stink in Denmark.

One possibility might be that your "short name" is too long so if you want to do an experiment lets try this...

1) create a new user named "Bob" on your OSX box and make sure that he is allowed to use windows filesharing. Also pick a password that is less than 8 letters long to be safe.

2) log in as Bob and make sure that file sharing is turned on in Bob's settings. [this step may not be necessary but just to be safe]

3) Now log out of Windows and then back in as bob with the password you used on the mac.

Now try the who file sharing experiment again and tell me what you get.

-Eric

BINGO!!!!!

You're a genius Eric! Thank you very very much. I couldn't believe it but it works.
I added a new user called bob with a pw of less than 8 characters as you suggested to my Mac.
Logged off my PC and logged on as bob with the same pw as my mac and I got a bob icon in my network. Also still had my steveformosa icon and I was able to access all my files when I turned on the permissions.
My next questions now are these:
Can I delete the user bob on my Mac?
What in fact was the problem with my user name- too long?
If so what should I do?

Thanks again Eric.

Steve.

Back