Mac OSX 10

techpro

Registered
Hello,

I am a student who is looking into buying a Mac OS computer. However, before I spend the money on a Mac, I wanted to try out the operating system. I was hoping that somone had a Mac OS 10.0 or 10.1 that I could buy from them so I could try it out. However, since I am a student, I can't pay very much for it. Please email me at: techpro08@yahoo.com if you could could sell me one.

Thank You

Mac OS 10.2 would be nice, but $39 is too much for me to just try it out. I would like a a lot lower. I was hoping that someone had Mac OS 10.0 or 10.1 that they were not using anymore and I could buy it off them.

Might be helpful to know which model Mac you have now?

I hope you are not considering trying OS X on a PC - fine for a hobbyist, but for more normal users would be a challenge....

Just for your information - OS X 10.0 is really a beta, and quite slow - not a good representation of OS X. 10.1 is a big improvement (although still not close to newer versions for stability and speed), and most newer software now requires at least 10.2, which again is a large improvement over earlier versions.
Do you know ANYONE with a reasonably new Mac (maybe less than 2 or 3 years old) that you could simply try out for a couple of hours, just to get an idea about OS X?
Most Apple retailers would let you try out a Mac on display, which can help you discover some of the advantages provided by OS X - and you get to try some of the great new hardware that Apple has now. (which won't run older versions of OS X, BTW :) )

um... as per board rules it is not fine for a hobbyist, it's still illegal. you can't use the the mac os on any computer that isn't a mac. there has not been a pc compatible release of the Mac OS in 15 years.

if you want to try mac os x, go to an apple shop, you could find a friend with a mac, or you could go to a library or internet cafe with macs.

one thing is assured, you'll probably love it.

As Lt Major Burns so graciously offered the information about the legalities of the installation and use of OS X on a proper (sic) PC, the choice is out there, but this board won't assist with installation of OS X on a PC.

That said, if you do have a Mac (which you haven't said), we can help you with that.

Well I just got off the phone with a friend who has a older Mac. He said he could let me borrow his Mac 9 something and let me install Mac OS 10.1 if I had it. I don't need help with installing it, I just need to know if anyone had one they could sell me.

Make sure you back up whatever he has on their, if it's not.

As for OS X on a PC, it's illegal, it doesn't work well, and you could screw up your computer.

Back