MAC OSX wireless control panel info

reznator

Registered
I'm new to Mac's but not new to networking.
I noticed that when I'm connected to a wireless AP that I can only seem to view very basic details about the connection.
I just started experimenting with N-draft 2 wireless and when my powerbook is connected, I have no idea what protocol I'm using or what my connection speed is. Is there a way to view this sort of information in MAC OSX or am I out of luck?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Much thanks in advance.

If you are in Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5) you can get the iStatPro widget for your widgets; it exposes lots of real time computer and network information.

Utilities/Activity Monitor can also work wonders as can Little Snitch: http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

If you click the wireless icon in your menu bar (up top on a mac) you can click the preferences item in that list to go to System Preferences (little light switch icon in your doc)/Network.

You can also view a lot of information about all your network adapters' connection speeds, link types, etc. with "Network Utility", located in your /Applications/Utilities folder.

For information about an AirPort connection, most likely that's the "en1" interface on your machine, so you would use the pull-down menu under the "Info" pane and select "Network Interface (en1)".

i can pretty much tell you that if your using a powerbook g4 (& it doesnt have any additional wireless card plugged into it) the n you will be using standard 802.11g/b cars operating at 54mbps

its only the later macbooks and macbook pros that had support for n draft which will potentially run upto 300mbps

Back