Mac printing to Kyocera\Toshiba MFD's

jesz

Registered
We're having an issue that has stumped even the company suppling our equipment. We have MAC's on a campus wide network, and we recently went through and installed either Kyocera or Toshiba MFD's in all the main areas. We've manged to hook up all the PC's without batting an eye, but the MAC's say their connected and even send the document, but nothing comes out on the other end. This goes the opposite way as well, when you try to scan to computer, it sends to a PC but not a MAC. We've tried to install the drivers on each machine individually but no luck. The company that supplied the equipment are all top of the stack when it comes to PC's but are scratching their heads over the MAC side. These are all G5's but some are on Panther and some Tiger. Any ideas? :confused:

I have had issues wih some Kyocera printers (the FS-1900 in particular) where the driver installer said that it had the driver for that printer and you would know that it's installed, but it would never come up in the Printer Setup. I found out that it was faulty coding of the PPD file from Kyocera. Apparently, whoever wrote the PPD for that printer was quite careless as they had placed the wrong printer name in the PPD for the Kyocera FS-1900. Once I changed the incorrect name, the Mac OS finally was able to use the FS-1900 driver and everything worked perfectly.

Shame on Kyocera for providing Mac support but doing so VERY poorly. :mad:

Anyways, if you are experiencing similar issues, just open up the PPD in TextEdit and change the necessary listing. I recommend comparing it to one of the other PPDs that work. It's going to be a tedious reconfig since all the Macs affected would need to have that file or files replaced, but it will work.

How about this 1? We did manage to get the Toshiba hooked up to the MAC's, but then came across a weird glitch. All of our MFD's are locked by code for each individual dept. so we can track output and usage. Well for the Toshiba, everytime someone tries to print to it, because it's already been locked by a copy code, they have to enter a username, password, and group ID everytime they want to print, for each individual program, and it won't save anywhere on their machine. Toshiba has already said they can't help.
Still can't hook up the Kyocera's at all, but thanks for the help, I solved another printing problem with it. :)

(BTW - This is the best thing I've found on the net for solving my MAC glitches!)

Back