mac pro, airport extreme

trinous

Registered
Hello,

Recently I unplugged my mac pro to do some upgrading, when I plugged it back, I could not get on line. Safari, keeps saying that I am not connected to the internet. I try iTunes to go to the store, and no luck, same thing in software upgrade. Bottom line unable to get on line by any means. I have an Airport Extreme station, a printer, and 4 desktop macs and 1 Macbook Pro. Everyone can still get on line. I can print to the network printer, and I can even ping with 0% loss of data my laptop. I can set up remote screen. If I try to ping the base station I get 100% data loss. Any ideas?

That is strange. You did loosen up the Airport card in the Pro did you? Another thing to try is to go to System Preferences (in the Dock)->Network and highlight the airport card in the left hand corner. Then in the right hand pane at the top of the pane is "Location". Use the drop-down and make a new Location (calling it whatever you like). Once you do the in the right hand pane select "Advanced" and a drop-down will come down. Select "Renew DHCP Lease" and hopefully you will get a good IP.

Plus if you are using a password (wireless security) to get onto the wireless then open /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access and in there find the saved password for the wireless router and delete the entry. This way when you connect again you can make sure you are putting in the current password.

Good Luck.

Thank you very much for your time.
I've done everything you mentioned, I also tried to get on line by sharing internet thru firewire, I ran an ethernet cable to my router, and nothing. Anything I try, I go to network utility and see that all is active. I also ran hardware test and it can't find anything wrong. Should I start from scratch and wipe everything?

Thanks,

tc

That is strange. You did loosen up the Airport card in the Pro did you? Another thing to try is to go to System Preferences (in the Dock)->Network and highlight the airport card in the left hand corner. Then in the right hand pane at the top of the pane is "Location". Use the drop-down and make a new Location (calling it whatever you like). Once you do the in the right hand pane select "Advanced" and a drop-down will come down. Select "Renew DHCP Lease" and hopefully you will get a good IP.

Plus if you are using a password (wireless security) to get onto the wireless then open /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access and in there find the saved password for the wireless router and delete the entry. This way when you connect again you can make sure you are putting in the current password.

Good Luck.

I just installed on another hd the os and it connects flawlessly, just like before. Does this help diagnose the situation. I am hoping that I don't have to reinstall every application.

Thanks,

TC

OK. On the affected hard drive try to make another test user account to see if it has the same problem. This way you can see if it is system wide or just affecting the main user.

Thanks again.
I did create new users on the hd with the bad internet connection, and had the same problem. I have decided to just start from scratch again. So far is working great, I just finished installing Final Cut Studio and all its contents, now on to the audio applications.
I wanted to thank you for your help. I still don't understand how this happened and like to avoid it in the future. I remember now that when I first plugged the computer it immediately started up, without me even pressing the power button. Then I got a message to change the date, because it had reverted back to 2005 or something, I can't remember.

Thanks,

TC

Back