Mac Pro Boot With Tiger?

vja4Him

Registered
I am seriously considering buying a Mac Pro .... If at all possible, I would like to be able to dual boot, with Leopard or Tiger. Is it possible to boot a Mac Pro with Tiger, from an internal HD or external FW HD? If there is no way possible to boot a Mac Pro from Tiger, is there an emulator that will allow me to run most (or all?) of my old apps that I’ve been running on my iBook G4 1Ghz (running Tiger)? Thanks.

The only way you can have a Mac Pro install and boot in Tiger, is if it was manufactured and shipped before Leopard was out. That you will be able to dual boot with 10.4 / 10.5. The ones that were shipping when Leopard was released will not be able to get 10.4 installed in them.

Most of the applications you had in 10.4 will run without any problems in 10.5, so I don't think that for the applications you would need this solution. Most applications that were running in 10.4 either work directly in 10.5 or they have updates available. Are you concerned about a specific program/s?

Don't know about the new Mac Pro's, but my quad-core 2.66 GHz Mac Pro boots both just fine. I have Leopard on one HD and Tiger on another. I have bootable backups of both systems on an external Firewire 800 HD.

Don't know about the new Mac Pro's, but my quad-core 2.66 GHz Mac Pro boots both just fine. I have Leopard on one HD and Tiger on another. I have bootable backups of both systems on an external Firewire 800 HD.

Well yes, and your 2.66 MacPro shipped with Tiger, so you could easily do that, and the newer Leopard, too. Even if you bought your 2.66 after the release of Leopard, a system that is known to boot to Tiger may still be OK with Tiger (if you can locate a restore disk that will work, the black commercial OS X 10.4 won't install on any Intel Mac.) The newest MacPro ships with Leopard or later, and you can't go back to an older OS.

Back