Mac Pro

Rhisiart

Registered
I am seriously considering upgrading my G4 PowerPC (800/768/10.4.8).

Is it too early yet to buy an Intel-based Mac Pro, given that I use a number of non-intel compatiable apps (e.g. Adobe)?

P.S. I apologise if this thread should be in the hardware section, but it's the Intel/software compatability issues that interests me.

all i have heard is glowing reviews of them. i would perhaps wait for Rev B machines to come through, but as you've probably heard, photoshop et al seem to be benchmarking very similar results to final rev Power Mac G5's. these things are so powerful that they knock out the lag of emulation.

however, factor into your purchase the cost of Creative Suite 3, when that comes out, because that will be what sets the power free. perhaps even wait for that come out, as they will no doubt be joined with Rev B machines. possible 8-core?

This is my problem.

I can't see how myself updating my existing Adobe software apps for some time as they work fine as they are (e.g. Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10, Indesign 2 and Go Live CS).

I would want them to work with an Intel-based Mac Pro.

i use CS1. before that i used PS 5.5 and illustrator 8. i think upgrade every 2 or 3 major releases is good. i think it's a good time to upgrade. if i were you, i'd start saving now for a mac pro and CS3, and expect to buy in, say, 6 months.

You can run them in rossetta emulation mode.

While this is true, for some the performance hit from running apps in Rosetta is not good enough. Plus, some apps tend to misbehave under Rosetta (since Rosetta emulates a PPC CPU through software...some apps look for the real thing). For some, there might not be any options other than to stick with a PowerPC Mac until the ability to afford the Intel Mac and the apps arrive.

Just nitpicking here, but Rosetta is not emulation -- it's on-the-fly machine-level instruction translation, which is vastly different from emulation.

Back