MAC Quicksilver

bobpal1

Registered
I am in search for the ADC connector that is on the back of the Quicksilver Mac Box. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Bobpal1@sbcglobal.net

Bad idea to post your email address to a public forum, unless you want some spam crawler robot to pick it up and add it to a spam list. If someone here knows the answer to your question, the answer will be posted to this forum -- not emailed to you. If you wish to receive help here, all conversations and troubleshooting will take place on this forum, in this thread -- not by email.

When you say you are in search of the ADC connector, what, exactly, are you looking for? The Quicksilver computers came with graphics cards that had ADC connectors for connecting Apple-branded ADC monitors. Those monitors' cables had ADC connections on them.

You can also purchase ADC-to-DVI converters, so that you can use the ADC connections on that computer with monitors that only support DVI.

ElDiabloConCaca, thanks for setting me straight about my address on the forum.
YES the ADC connector is the larger of the two on the back of the Quicksilver, and the display is an Apple Display, 20" which has the connector and cable attached to it. The one I need is the one on the Video Card, but I find that this is an Apple Proprietary item and can only be purchased as the CARD WITH THE CONNECTOR attached. So you might say I'm looking for the part that the display connects TO on the puter. I suppose I will have to try and find an old discarded box with that connector on it, and I'm not about to pay $129 for the card. Heck that is almost more than a complete Quicksilver would cost. I only need the connector and am good at soldering, so no problem.

I'm still not understanding exactly what you're looking for. There are only two things required to use an ADC monitor with your computer:

1) A monitor with an ADC connector/cabling (which you say you have), and
2) A computer with a video card that has an ADC port (which you also say you have).

Nothing else is needed. Did your ADC port on your video card somehow break off? Can you provide a picture (photograph) of the connectors on the back of the computer, and also of the monitor cabling and connectors?

2) A computer with a video card that has an ADC port (which you also say you have).

Nothing else is needed. Did your ADC port on your video card somehow break off? Can you provide a picture (photograph) of the connectors on the back of the computer, and also of the monitor cabling and connectors?

Yes on 1 & 2, but the ADC port on the video card has a female pin broken off, and have been told that to fix I had to go to Apple for a NEW video card complete with the ADC port attached. Seems to me they could sell the $1.50 part separately. The cord and matching ADC connector of the Apple Display is OK.
I don't know how to attach a picture to the forums, at least I can't see anyplace that says you can???? Thanks, Bob

Ah, I see now! I understand what you're looking for... but I don't have much in the way of suggestions. ADC was discontinued some years ago, and finding those parts may prove difficult.

You may want to look around on eBay and/or Craigslist to see if you can find a cheap Macintosh video card that has an ADC port -- then you could perform some surgery and swap the good port for the bad one.

Other than that, I don't know where you could find only the ADC plug itself without the video card attached -- it's not really a user-serviceable part, and even if you brought your Mac in to a repair center when ADC was still popular, chances are the fix would be to put a new video card in -- not just solder on a new ADC port.

It looks like this guy was looking for the same or similar thing as you:

http://macosx.com/forums/hardware-peripherals/301624-where-would-i-find-adc-f-connector.html

He mentions that he found fully functional video cards with ADC connectors for $15 to $20 -- not a bad price to pay if you just intend to perform video card surgery, removing the good ADC connector from the new card and soldering it on to the old card. Maybe send him a private message here and see if he had any luck?

Back