mac running windows

hazmatt

Registered
now that mac's can run windows, if one chooses to do so does that make the computer susceptable to all of the spyware and viruses that plague windows machines daily?

If you are running in Windows... yes.

Friends don't let friends run Windows on a Mac. :D

Unless, of course, you're running Windows and access the Mac's boot drive via some software that can make Mac-volumes appear as readable and writable. Then, malware can theoretically wipe your drive clean, for example. Or (worse*) fill your harddisk with stuff that you don't want.

*Worse because you _do_ of course have an up-to-date backup of your OS X drive for such cases.

I have MacDrive installed on my Windows XP partition which allows you to see Mac formatted drives in XP, but it still doesn't "see" my Macintosh HD.

Not sure whether this was Apple's design or MacDrive's limitations, but seems to me the only drives susceptible to Windows' problems is the Windows partition and any attached storage devices.

say that a mac was running in windows and the only use of the internet was to play video games online (like medal of honor not kitty throw): would spyware / viruses be a problem?

If doing that same action on a regular Windows computer poses a threat, then yes, it poses the same threat on the Mac as well.

I would never recommend running Windows (even under emulation, like with VirtualPC) without some sort of virus protection. While the viruses won't physically harm the components of your computer, they can ruin a Windows installation in a flash.

Any situation that would put you at risk on a regular Windows computer puts you at the same risk when you're running Microsoft Windows on an Intel-based Macintosh.

hazmatt said:
say that a mac was running in windows and the only use of the internet was to play video games online (like medal of honor not kitty throw): would spyware / viruses be a problem?
The last estimate I heard was that a computer running Windows would be attacked within 30 seconds of being connected to the internet.

You just don't run Windows connected to the internet without protection.

sassar is stilll very evident, even though most people are protected from it.

it'll shut down your computer 30 seconds after it's finished booting.

That of course is assuming that, A. You are not using ANY firewall, B. You have NO spyware blocker and C. You have no Anti-virus installed.

This of course is the case with any BRAND SPANK'N NEW windows user who needs to learn about exploits the hard way.

Back