Mac the Ripper

Chris Jackson

Registered
I have finally successfully burned a back up of a DVD-movie. Only, it doesn't play when I use DVD player on my Mac. I was wondering if this problem can be resolved. If not, I then want to know if it will play on only some DVD players. Is this a double-layer issue, or is there a simple solution?

Chris, I'm afraid we need more information. Did you successfully burn
the DVD on another machine? If you're talking about the same machine,
I don't think "successfully" is a word I'd use.

Why is your note entitled "Mac The RIpper?" MTR does not burn DVDs.

What machine/OS/optical drive do you have?
What burning software?
What specific steps did you perform?

I've backed up my entire DVD collection - around 200 DVDs - using MacTheRipper to rip the movies, and Popcorn to burn them. Any that Popcorn refuses to accept I simply recompress in DVD2OneX and then burn with Popcorn. All of these play fine on my iMac and on my Toshiba DVD player.

If you're running into trouble, you might want to start breaking the process down into baby steps. Use MacTheRipper to rip the original DVD, then open the created Video_TS folder in DVD Player's File --> Open and play it from there, make sure its OK. At each step along the process, check the movie still plays, so you can find out where the problem is.

To burn a DVD video you'll need to use a DVD burning program like Popcorn, Toast, etc...

MacTheRipper rips the content of a DVD off of the DVD disk and onto your hard drive. There is no "encoding" or "translating" to a different format like AVI -- it's just a straight rip. Whatever format the DVD was in is the format the resulting files will be in when you use MTR.

If you wish to watch the DVD once it's been ripped to your hard drive, simply open DVD player, hit command-O (or "Open DVD Media" from the "File" menu), then simply select the VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive. You can then view the movie as if it were still on the DVD disk.

If you wish to then convert the .VOB DVD files to another format, I suggest you check out Handbrake, available from versiontracker.com.

I've just bought a Toshiba DR350 DVD Recorder and can play the discs well on my Panasonic DVD Player and on the Mac DVD Player. However, Mac The Ripper does not recognise the discs even thoughthe icon for the DVD is on the desktop. MTR will not start scanning. Is it something to do with the fact that the name on the disc is 'Untitled'? How can you burn a name into the discs??
Can anyone help??
Cheers
Joth

as mentioned before, i think the program you are after is Handbrake.

Handbrake lets you put a dvd in the drive, and rip the entire feature into a pristine quality H.264 movie file compatible with iTunes, with one button.

Back