Mac will not automaticcaly connect to wireless network

jhd

Registered
I regularly connect to 2 different wireless networks. One at my parents house and one at my own house. Both use WEP.

I have no problems connecting to the wireless network at my house, and until recently had no problems connecting to my parents network either.

However, i now find that i have the following problem with my parents network:

My MacBook Pro can't find my parents network (called "11 Suffield Close"). Normally, when i turn my MacBook Pro on, it will automatically connect without any prompting from me, but i now have to click on the "wireless" symbol in the bar at the top of the MacOS screen, select "other" ("11 Suffield Close" is not listed as an available network), type in the name of the network and the WEP key. In otherwords, i have to manually connect each and every time that i turn my MacBook Pro on! (The network does then work without any problems)

I have checked in the network preferences and "11 Suffield Close" is listed as a preferred network, and all the details are correct. I have also tested the wireless network with my PocketPC and that "sees", connects and "remembers" the wireless network without any problems. I have also checked that the router is not set to hide it's ID - it isn't.

Any ideas what is going on? I'm using MacOS X 10.4.8

It sounds like you saved password for that router is either corrupt or wrong. Open /Applications/Utilties/Keychain Access and then find the entry for that wireless network. Once you find the entry, delete it. Then go to the menu item (in Keychain Access) and select "Keychain First Aid". After you do all of this, log into the router again and when the system asked if you want to save the password, let it save. This should fix the problem, hopefully.

Back