Macavenger... your FTP

Originally posted by sfish
I'm still just amazed that it hasn't been posted to any usenet groups.

You sure it hasn't? I've been getting almost constant login attempts for the last two days. I didn't think there were THAT many people who read this board ;)

Macavenger,

I'm very thankful for you to be providing an FTP server for downloading X.1. I was downloading it since yesterday and I got disconnect (now I know the reasons, I read up there). So How can I contact you for you to provide a new login/password? I downloaded 240Mb already on a 56K modem!!!

Thanx,
Roberto

macavenger,
I'm trying to get in touch with you on Yahoo Messenger. I was downloading 5g64, but got booted off with 40MB left :) If you can, PM me here or msg me on Yahoo (DrHogie is my nick).
Thanks for offering this to us all. If I had a server here that I could offer on myself I would (but our DSL is behind multiple firewalls at the ISP level :( ).

Thanks again,
DrHogie

Originally posted by jeb1138
OK, well I'm not sure exactly what made it work, but here's what I did anyway: (If anybody can give a more concise explanation on how to do this or why some things didn't work it would be appreciated. There's an old article at www.macosx.org/nocd that talks about doing something like this, but OS 9 wouldn't recognize the disk image I had downloaded so I couldn't do it that way). I did this on a 450DP with 10.0.4. The partition I used was actually on a different physical hard drive, but I don't think that should matter.

1. I tried to just erase one of my partitions and copy the files straight over from the mounted image. BUT the finder gave me weird errors about overwriting files -- for some reason it thought a couple files like "ttys" and "ttys.installer" (I don't remember the names for sure) were the same files.

2. So, I logged in as root to make sure there weren't any permission issues going on and I tried to find which files were generating errors and get them copied over correctly. I also had hidden files showing (courtesy of Tinkertool (see versiontracker.com)). I was sure I had it all correct, and the partition was showing up in 'Startup Disk' so I restarted. Looked good, even threw up the initial OS X banner but then crashed to a command line & I had to restart (and hold down the option key to choose my 10.0.4 OS X startup disk instead)

3. Back in 10.0.4 again I logged in as root, mounted the image and started up Terminal. I did this:

cp -R /volumes/"Mac OS X Install CD"/* /volumes/mypartition/

Since I was root it got everything. Strangely, through terminal I could see (and copy) some file called "Norton FS Index" that I couldn't see through the finder, even with hidden files shown. I'm wondering if that was the problem before. Anyway, there were a couple directories & files thrown on "mypartition" after I did this that weren't on the Install CD disk image, so I deleted them from mypartition. I opened system settings and 'startup disk' was showing mypartition as an option once again. (I actually renamed it "Mac OS X Install CD" after unmounting the disk image, but I don't know if that really matters) I selected mypartition and restarted. Voila! A faster-than-CD seamless install ensued.

Well that's it. Sorry this was so long -- since I don't know for sure what I did right I thought should give some details.

Any questions post again & I'll check back or e-mail me.

Hello Jeb do you have some more details on this... it has been a few days?

Back