MacBook Power Supply Problem

rdarken

Registered
I thought I would post this just in case anyone else is seeing the same problem. I have my MacBook in the shop now to have this fully diagnosed but it seems that I might have a bad power supply. It's intermittent but it snaps off randomly after being on for a while. This happens with either battery or AC power. The problem has appeared over time. I had my MacBook for at least two weeks before I saw this happen.

I'll report back when I get a diagnosis but if you see similar behavior, it would be good to know if this is an isolated issue or not.

have been running my macbook for over a month now , not had any problems yet . guess you've had a power supply problem . would like to hear the outcome of the diagnosis.

Just got it back Friday. Apple could not replicate the problem. I suspect what happened was it overheated and shutdown as a safety mechanism. I've had it up for a day and a half now with no problems, but at my home. I first saw the problem at my office. I'm wondering if it might not be ventilating properly there but is ok here. Still, it might mean that x86 Macs are susceptible to overheating which is good to know!

i hope this is an isolated incident... but yer i think its a given that the MBP could quite easily overheat....

I have had my mac book pro for a month have not used it much but have experienced no problems and noproblems with my software. It runs hot which was true of my PB G4 but I rather expected they would fix that problem in this new rigs but no such luck. How do you all handle the hot box problem? I try to unplug it when it gets charged so that it wont overheat but its a pain.

Do any of those thplastic or metal things they sit on work?

jean grossholtz

rdarken said:
I thought I would post this just in case anyone else is seeing the same problem. I have my MacBook in the shop now to have this fully diagnosed but it seems that I might have a bad power supply. It's intermittent but it snaps off randomly after being on for a while. This happens with either battery or AC power. The problem has appeared over time. I had my MacBook for at least two weeks before I saw this happen.

I'll report back when I get a diagnosis but if you see similar behavior, it would be good to know if this is an isolated issue or not.

I've had this exact problem with a new MacBook (white, SuperDrive/2.0GHz model). I've had it for three weeks now; a few days ago it randomly and precipitously powered off on me. I was surfing the web one moment, and then the power just completely turned off. No shutdown sequence, no warning, no nothing. I wasn't working on anything important at the time and thought it was perhaps an isolated incident -- but it happened again today, twice, and I've lost my patience and confidence with this machine. Gunna call Apple and try to get it repaired/replaced. Anyone have any further comments/experiences with this?

I just started seeing this problem after about a month. I was working and click it goes off. In 2 cases it wouldn't power back on until after I let it sit for awhile..... my guess is this is a thermal problem.

I always allow for airflow under the laptop so I'm not sure what else I can do to stop this from happening.

If it's the same problem my cube had, check the power supply. The cube, for those of you who might not recall, had an external power brick, covered on top and bottom with vent holes. Except the little rubber feet only allowed about 1 or 2 mm space under it, as long as they stayed attached. Basically I learned to prop up the power brick with something to allow for maximum air throughput, and on warm days I aimed my USB FlexFan at it.

No this happens on and off AC power. I'll be visiting my friendly neighborhood Apple store soon.

Then it could still be heat, just internal. Probably the "safety" mechanism you mentioned earlier, which I think is what the Cube's power brick issue is. A way to prevent burning anything nearby.

Yesterday my Macbook shut off again and boot once, off the DVD. It was unable to see the internal hard drive anymore. A quick trip to the Apple store where they were unable to get it to boot from any device. It is now in Memphis, TN awaiting a new logic board replacement.

I've had my MacBook for a few weeks now and it's started playing up. Seems to be mainly when booting up, i'll hit the power button it'l will begin to boot then suddenly power will go. Usually have to try starting 8-10 time before it succesfully boots up. Once its on and been on for a few minutes it seems to be fine. Tried to find firmware updates as have heard about this problem on the MacBook Pro's, which apple are providing firmware updates for, but not on the standard MacBook. Anyone come accross this? Any ideas?

Thanks

Might be speaking too soon, but I pressed an held the power button, from off, the little blue light flashed rapidly then there was a tone. And so far, since then, things have been OK but we'll see. Am not confident things are fully resolved.

At power on hold Command-Option-P-R keys and wait until you hear the post "bong" three times.

I told the Apple store I understood when you mass produce something a few lemons will be created..... they just were supposed to sell the lemon to someone else ;-)

I purchased a new MacBook for a client only to have it fail within 4 days. Replacement from Apple is also exhibiting weird power problems.

First one would charge intermittantly. When plugged in would shut down randomly, then would not restart. Couldn't stay on long enough to run diags or reinstall OS per Tech Support request.

Replacement is also doing intermittant shut downs but does power back up.

Same problem here - after two months of using it my MacBook switched off 3 times yesterday without any warning!!! It was not specially hot - laying on a desk with good ventilation...

Back