MacBook Pro 15" HD replacement

dr fletch

Registered
I've decided I am going to replace my existing 120Gig drive in my MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 Intel with a new Western Digital 320Gig. I use the thing so intensely, I never have any free space. I've got the drive but want to ensure as perfect a clone as possible. How should I go about this. I do have another identical (spare) MacBook which has a dodgy logic board but works fine, so I was thinking of putting the drive in that and doing a firewire clone??? then swapping them over. My main question is would I need to install Leaopard on the new drive before I attempted the clone. Maybe I should use disc utility. I dunno... Suggestions?

This is going to be and hard at the same time. First thing to do is get a Firewire External hard disk (as big as your current internal). Then backyup (Clone=bootable : Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper) and backup your current setup.

Then buy your new internal hard disk (like these) and get some tools (like this). Also foolow the site pictures at here and see the video right here.

Well is this enough?

Thanks for all that, I will certainly use CCC. I really am torn as to the best physical way to do it. ie. put the new drive in my old MacBook or put it in a firewire caddy? and then replace the old HD.

Thanks for all that, I will certainly use CCC. I really am torn as to the best physical way to do it. ie. put the new drive in my old MacBook or put it in a firewire caddy? and then replace the old HD.
The method often suggested is to purchase an external enclosure, put your new drive in it and do a CCC backup of your existing system.
Be sure to test the backup by trying to boot from it.
Next remove the old drive from the laptop, replace it with the new drive and you should be good to go.
Finally, you can use the old drive in the external enclosure for backups or whatever.
This method has been used by many, and has been found to be very successful.

jb.

Back