MacBook Pro Start Up Chime

pam.in.ny

Registered
Muting my MacBook Pro's (OS 10.6.8) volume before I shut it down does not mute the startup chime next time I boot the system. Before when I muted the sound before shut down, the start up chime was muted which is nice if you're in a public place and don't want to call attention.

Can anyone help me get the sound back to where it was before. I checked the sound prefs and that too is set on mute and I still have the start up chime. I really don't want to have to download a 3rd party or use headphones. That is like defeating the purpose. It worked properly before, why isn't it now? Oh I wish I was more proficience in this stuff. Thank you for any help.

Instead of muting, can you try turning the volume all the way down instead? I understand that functionally, they should be the exact same -- but it's worth a shot.

I remember on my old G4 that the startup chime's volume matched the system volume, but the chime was still present if I simply hit "mute" instead of turning the volume all the way down.

Yes, I"ve tried that. I've reset the PRAM, tried restarting with headphones plugged in, everything set to mute and still have a loud start up chime. I use to be able to set the volume on low before shutdown and the chime would be low. If I had it on mute, no start up chime. I had control over it. Now I don't have that controll.

I downloaded and installed 'systemsound pref and the only time I don't get a start up chime is when I have that set and locked on mute. Even is I the pref set to the lowest setting, the start up chime is loud. <SIGH>

I just want it to go back to the way it was last week. Being able to control the volume of my start up chime or even have it turned off when needed.

Yes, I have repaired permissions and still have a loud chime at start up, even when the volume is set at mute and if headphones are plugged in. :( Thank you for your reply.

When you reset the PRAM, how many startup chimes did you reset it through?

It's recommended to hold down command-option-p-r until the computer reboots and you hear the startup chime 3 times[/]b.

The PRAM does, indeed, store the computer's speaker volume -- can you try resetting the PRAM again, and do it through 3 full cycles as described above?

The Chime annoys me too, but I found a small app, called "Start-up Sound", which disables it. Worked for me. However, when I took my MBP in for service, in order to diagnose the problem, the tech had to hear that chime to do his work. YMMV.

I have reset the PRAM by waiting for three chimes several times and with everything on mute, as well as having a headphone plugged in, I still have the chime.

I downloaded "Start-Up-Sound" and yes, it will silence the chime. However, I want to be able to control the volume of the chime as before. With Start-Up-Sound, it's either no sound or the loud chime, no in between even using the volume slider that Start-Up-Sound. :(

I really don't want to have to use a 3rd party and users shouldn't have to resort to that. I'll use it if it comes to that and as a last resort but would prefer not too.

Back