MacBook Pro updated

I just got back from a short trip to my local Apple reseller. The first thing I noticed was a black MacBook sitting out in the center of the store. I've been wanting to play with a MacBook since they were released but never found the time to go down and actually touch one.

The very first thing I noticed is that when they say "wide screen" they mean "WIDE screen." In-fact it was a tad bit ugly it was so wide. I belive the model I was playing was a 2GHz model. I was expecting the glossy screen to be really bothersome, but to be completely honest I didn't even notice unless I looked really closely. The only difference between the regular screens and the glossy is the, well, glossy. Everything on the screen looked very bright and sleek, really smooth. It was a full lit room but I didn't pickup any reflections.

My conclusion of the glossy screen is that it's a great feature, everything was very vibrant and sleek. No complaints at all from me. *I also took a nice look at the glossy screen on the new MacBook Pro, same conclusion.

The keyboard was interesting. It looks like Apple is really moving for a change in design here because it was unlike anything I've ever seen on a laptop. It was awkward at first, but I got use to it quickly. Browsing around websites was a snap.

ALL in ALL, the only thing now stopping me from getting a MacBook is Adobe's lack of support for a universal creative studio. If I could get all the programs I need for the MacBook I'd even go far enough to take out an Apple Loan. It's an amazingly small, sleek, and powerful machine. I'd recommend it to anybody who's even remotely interested in one.

I got the 2.0ghz white one on Wednesday. Overall, really pleased with it. Keyboard is excellent, double finger scrolling has 'changed the way I use a computer' already. It doesnt run that hot (I had a sony beast that used to bake), and is comfortable all night on your lap.

The screen is really bright - a bit jumpy perhaps compared to a powerbook, but a lot brighter. Scrolling text on some sites, however 'disappears' until you are still again. Quite like the glossy myself.

With the standard ram, CS2 does run, but indesign and illustrator are absolute dogs, and photohop is tedius too. Maybe that will change when you max out the RAM, but they really are unuseable unless you are very patient. Quark (PowerPC 6.5) runs fine though. Maybe CS1 would run better? Office seems to cope OK, but I never do anything heavy with it anyway. The included apps and universals that I have downloaded run very, very quickly indeed. Judging by the universl apps, this is definitely the fastest mac ive used, and ive used all the PowerPC ones bar that G5 quad. And its a laptop. And its only £900. Apple is really gloing for it with this machine - its an absolute bargain and very portable, very highly specced.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who is using CS1 or 2 on a new machine and has any speed issues/tips?

I thought CS programs wouldn't run on the new intel universal machines at all? Was I mistaken? I've got CS1 and if it will run (I don't care how fast, as long as it runs) I'm definately going to get a MacBook.

yes, that was one of the first demos Jobs tested back in June, he built an entire King Kong movie poster with actions and it seemed pretty nippy, there was video tearing, but other'n that, it look fine. CS2 is reportedly more resource hungry, and rosetta loves eating RAM, but just kit it out with 2gb ram and you should be fine until the CS3 comes out and it's universal.

Adobe CS and CS 2 run beautifully, as long as you have enough RAM. They won't be as quick as on a PPC right now, but they _do_ work indeed.

fryke said:
Adobe CS and CS 2 run beautifully, as long as you have enough RAM. They won't be as quick as on a PPC right now, but they _do_ work indeed.

At least they'll be faster than the 500 MHz G3 I'm on now? :)

I read somewhere that you'll get speed comparable to a 1.2 GHz G4, so, yes.

Back