MacBook Pro updated

Captain Code

Staff member
Mod
Apple also updated the MacBook Pros, bumping the 1.83GHz model to 2.0GHz and the 2.0GHz model up to 2.16GHz.

i was using that new chat feature and i asked for his opinion/difference b/w the two and he said the glossy is better for outdoor sun use. plus it just makes the aqua all more aqua-y and lick-able

The colors are a lot sharper on laptop displays with glossy screens. You just get better contrast without the matte coating, is all.

ah choices. I hate it when they give me those. I wouldn't know which one to get LOL. If i get the glossy...i might say "maybe the regular would have been better" and vice versa. Darnit. I think i'll go regular though. This glossy stuff is new...and might not last. The competitors haven't adopt this as yet, so i'll wait and see. I plan on getting the next release of the macbook pro. I was waiting for apple to iron out some bugs and hopefully on the second release leopard will jump out :)

I've seen "glossy" displays. My brother loves his. He keeps saying "it's like looking at a photo! I hate them. I keep saying "it's like looking at a mirror!" One thing I LOVED about LCDs when I first switched from CRTs was that they don't reflect like CRTs. I don't need to crane my neck or pull down my window shades if it's sunny out. But these glossy LCDs reflect even more! I can see myself in every dark area of the screen. It's annoying, especially when you're watching a movie or doing graphics work or...well, anything that requires looking at the screen.

PC laptops have had it for a while, and I've seen my friend's that has this finish on the screen. I can't say I liked it much, and we were outside so there was a lot of glare. But I'd reserve judgement on the MacBook until I see one in person. Except I won't be able to take it outside the Apple Store to see how it is so it might be hard to tell.

Good to see the speed bump I was hoping for.

This glossy widescreen display is interesting — more reflective, but better outside. LCDs have always sucked outside, so I wonder exactly how much better these new ones are, and if the extra glare is worth it.

Apparently now the 15" MBP has added right click functionality (not an extra button, the two finger thing). Do you think they've fixed the thermal paste issue?

Apparently, you hold down two fingers on the trackpad, as if for scrolling, and then hit the trackpad button with the thumb (as you would...). Source? I think I've read it on one of maccentral's articles. It's definitely "go". :)

fryke said:
Apparently, you hold down two fingers on the trackpad, as if for scrolling, and then hit the trackpad button with the thumb (as you would...). Source? I think I've read it on one of maccentral's articles. It's definitely "go". :)
Fryke is right about the two finger click thing. As for my source, I read it in someone's post somewhere — not the most reliable source :rolleyes:

So can you do this 2-button thing on an existing MBP, or only the new ones? Surely it's a software feature, not hardware. After all, if it can already detect when 2 fingers are on the pad for scrolling...

and I agree with the glossy screens. I hate them, it's just for that "oooOOooo shiny" reaction that people have when buying a laptop.

Well I mention earlier that I want to buy the second release of the macbook pro. Any idea when its going to come out? I have the money and am just waiting. I'm really anxious and tempted to buy one whenever I visit the apple store. The reason for the wait is because I wanted apple to iron out the bugs. So whats your guess on the release of the macbook pro? Do you think it will come equiped with leopard? Feel free to share your ideas.

MnM said:
Well I mention earlier that I want to buy the second release of the macbook pro. Any idea when its going to come out? I have the money and am just waiting. I'm really anxious and tempted to buy one whenever I visit the apple store. The reason for the wait is because I wanted apple to iron out the bugs. So whats your guess on the release of the macbook pro? Do you think it will come equiped with leopard? Feel free to share your ideas.
I think the next major update of the MBP will be around August, when Intel is slated to release the 64-bit Merom, AKA the Core 2 Duo. If there are any updates before then, it will probably just be minor speed bumps. That's my guess, anyway.

spitty27 said:
i was using that new chat feature and i asked for his opinion/difference b/w the two and he said the glossy is better for outdoor sun use. plus it just makes the aqua all more aqua-y and lick-able
You sure you don't have that backwards? Glossy is worse outside. The glare makes working outdoors harder. Also, lights behind you in a room will cause glare, too. They've been using glossy screens on PC laptops for a while now, and I don't really care for them much.

Glossy *IS* better outside. I have the MacBook now. The matte screens go _completely_ black outside if the sun's shining a little. With the glossy screen, there's _definitely_ more contrast, so I can still see black on white typing when the matte screen only shows me a general grey mish-mash. You only have to make sure that you don't sit in a way that the sun comes in directly from behind.

Back