MacBook problems and not an Apple Store in sight!

icemanjc

I'm cool, I have a mac.
Recently on my 2008 MacBook, my Mini-DVI out port has given up the ghost. I've tried many adapters and such, but no go. My AppleCare runs out on June 18 and I would like to get my laptop in so that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg.

The problem is... I live in the middle of Iowa. There isn't a retail store or a certified reseller anywhere! The closest is 4 hours away, and I don't have a car. What the heck am I supposed to do?! I know that Lenovo sends out boxes for you to ship laptops back to them for repair because the college I work at does that all the time. However, I'm not a giant organizing, and doesn't seem to be an option for me.

If you still have AppleCare USE IT! They will send a box to you so use them ASAP, don't wait!

If you still have AppleCare USE IT! They will send a box to you so use them ASAP, don't wait!

Really? I searched all over the place to see if they would send me a box and all I saw was that they didn't. Do I just call or email them and ask for one?

Call them and they will likely send you a box especially if you are still under Apple's care plan. Their customer service is phenomenal.

1-800-MY-APPLE (General customer service)

U.S. iPod, Mac and iPad technical support: 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273)

Good luck! Hope you get it fixed soon. :)

I had a nice talk with an Apple tech support guy this morning. Other than the really annoying automated system that tries to get your serial and can't get it right after four times. Luckily after it screws up enough, it just sends you to a human.

I talked to the guy and assured him that I had done everything I could to make it work, and then he got my address and told me he would be sending a box out. Everything turned out a lot better than I had thought. However, he did not ask for an email address which I'm pretty sure they always take one, so I'm not too sure about that.

I had a nice talk with an Apple tech support guy this morning. Other than the really annoying automated system that tries to get your serial and can't get it right after four times. Luckily after it screws up enough, it just sends you to a human.

I talked to the guy and assured him that I had done everything I could to make it work, and then he got my address and told me he would be sending a box out. Everything turned out a lot better than I had thought. However, he did not ask for an email address which I'm pretty sure they always take one, so I'm not too sure about that.

If you have an Apple ID, I think they use that since it is your e-mail address. That person might have gone by that.

Well, I'm assuming that they went buy either the email address when I bought it or when I registered. Hopefully it works out fine. I received the box yesterday and sent it out as well. It's nice that it's overnight, I'm hoping to see a repair status sometime soon.

When you registered your AppleCare, you provided your email address then. Other detail than name (or email that they didn't ask in this case) that would link to you are your phone numbers registered (or used previously), and address. The Macs that have an AppleCare agreement, have their serials linked to the owner. So they should have had your email address already visible at that stage (however, it would have been nice to verify it is still valid, in case you'll want/need/can get some repair updates etc via email).
Glad that the Mac is being fixed now. :)

Apple authorized repairs have a 90 days warranty. If it's within your usual coverage time, it does not extend it, but in your case the AppleCare runs out before it. Start counting the 90 days from when you'll get the Mac back. A small little detail, but knowing of the 90 days repair warranty can sometimes be very helpful, at least if there were any other problems encountered related to the previous problems with the unit.

I must admit, I'm not too happy with Apple right now. I sent in my MacBook last Friday and since then there has not been an update to the repair status. I finally call in today an it turns out that they had actually lost it and when they finally found it again, then gave it a new repair number. They didn't bother to email or call me once throughout the entire time. Once I got a hold of the someone at Apple, it took me 30 minutes on the phone because the guy ha to go find his supervisor. Finally, after I finally found out what was going on. Someone calls me 10 minutes after I got off the last guy and tells me what's going on, right after the other guy told me. So, I'm sitting here wondering why couldn't have called lik that a lot earlier so im not checkin my repair status everyday hoping for something so change. Fun times...

Final Update: I received my MacBook back today. They replaced the main logic board and also the entire top case including the case around the screen because it was all cracked. I'm happy with the repairs and them actually doing everything well, just wish the customer support had been better.

Back