MacBook Speaker Issue - Please Help!

DetroitPixie

Registered
Hi there I have already sought out previous threads here but was unable to find an answer, the closer thread to what my issue is was: http://macosx.com/forums/hardware-peripherals/267849-intenal-speakers-no-longer-option-output.html

However, that guy never got answer either.

Basically my macbook OS X 10.4.11 is not acknowledging that it has internal speakers. Speakers are no longer listed on the utilities pane and I've tried all the other options listed in the above thread to problem solve. How do I get my macbook to realize that it has internal speakers? It picks up the headphones when inserted, otherwise a red light shines out of the headphone jack (I didn't even know there was a light in there).

Please help listening to headphones is not always ideal.

It thinks an optical cable is connected. Maybe you can actually connect one and then disconnect it again. (It's not the same cable, just looks like the same connector.) What happens if you zap the PRAM? (Cmd-Opt-P-R at startup.)

I believe this problem has been addressed numerous times in the forums. I know that the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago.

Fryke is absolutely correct, that the Book's optical audio sensor has been triggered and is not closing. Basically, in the audio port there is a small latch that drops closed when you don't have an optical audio device connected. Yours is staying open.

Option one: take it into an Apple store and have them service it. If it's out of warranty, you'll pay for it.

Option two: take a hair clip or something like that and place it in the hole and wiggle it around until the light goes out. NOTE: do this at your own risk ... some posts claim it can cause damage.

Option three: do the same thing as option two, but use headphone jacks since they are less likely to caue problems.

I went with option two on my book and it worked within ten seconds. About two months ago, a buddy of mine had the same problem, we did the same thing, and it was fixed.

If your Book is out of warranty, then you might as well fix it yourself and save the money. If you do cause more damage, you'll pay then ...

(I fixed mine even though it WAS still warrantied, simply cause I didn't want to be without it for a week).

Hope that helps.

I believe this problem has been addressed numerous times in the forums. Basically, in the audio port there is a small latch that drops closed when you don't have an optical audio device connected. Yours is staying open.
Option three: ... use headphone jacks since they are less likely to cause problems.

Very good answer BR. Option 3 is the best, the plug made to measure and all that. 9 times out of 10 it'll fix the problem.

Open /Applications/Utilities/ and launch the program Audi MIDI Setup. In that program make the Audi out 44100.0 Hz. Plus in /Applications/ launch Garageband and once it fully opens close it.

These fixes fix similar problems for people on PPC macs a while ago.

Back