Macintel (Pictures intel inside)

MacFreak

Chic Not Geek
We stumbled across a few pictures of Apple's Aluminum G5 enclosure with the Intel board visible inside. Apple is making development boxes available to select ADC Premiere members for US$999 at this week's WWDC conference in San Francisco.

Its ugly!

http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=14643

g5-with-intel-chip1.jpg

g5-with-intel-chip2.jpg

g5-with-intel-chip3.jpg

g5-with-intel-chip4.jpg
:(

And the insides of a regular G5 are attractive? ;)

It looks very empty. I guess the G5's innards take a lot more space than the P4's. That's kind of surprising, actually.

if it's empty, surely that means its more efficient (space wise) than the current model of dual g5s. that's better, isn't it? the g5, for all it's brilliance, is HUGE, and very heavy. it'll open up far more case design areas IMO

It's only a dev machine, no indication on any level of what's to come.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit of sorrow.

MacFreak said:
I dont see any dual and it look like its single pentium4 umm...
Bingo. Compare pictures of dual and single CPU PC motherboards. The board shown in these pics look like microATX form factor.

As fjdouse said, it's only a development machine. If you had seen some of the development/pre-release machines in the past that used PowerPC processors, they were just as barren and ugly as that one.

It is absolutely no indication as to what the final Intel-based Macintosh computers will look like.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
As fjdouse said, it's only a development machine. If you had seen some of the development/pre-release machines in the past that used PowerPC processors, they were just as barren and ugly as that one.

It is absolutely no indication as to what the final Intel-based Macintosh computers will look like.

Indeed.

We've already seen some company (AOpen) create a Mac mini clone based on the Pentium-M processor. It's actually a bit smaller than the Mac mini. So Apple - which is, as we know, GREAT at creating gorgeous hardware - will be perfectly capable of creating very, very nice intel Macs.

I agree, we may do. I am hoping that they will not just be designing a "PC" but designing a new machine around an Intel chip which will be much smaller and efficient. Time will tell.

Apple VP: Mac OS X will not boot on regular PCs ...
Mac OS X for Intel will not boot on machines sold by other PC manufactures, according to Apple vice president Phil Schiller. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he said. Schiller calmed concerns that Apple might lose sales to manufacturers of cheaper PCs if Mac OS X could run on such machines. It is unclear how Apple will restrict OS X to Macs. Intel-based Macs might feature a motherboard chip that Mac OS X must detect on startup. Although hackers might find ways to run Mac OS X on regular PCs, Apple's restriction measures should keep average consumers from ever running OS X on a competitor's PC.

fjdouse said:
I agree, we may do. I am hoping that they will not just be designing a "PC" but designing a new machine around an Intel chip which will be much smaller and efficient. Time will tell.
I'm hoping Intel only has a hand in the CPU and nothing else. No 9xx chipsets found on x86 boards.

Here's an interesting question, though:

Is this the end of Mac-only Video Cards (currently significantly more expensive than their PC counterparts)?

Back