Macintosh Blue/white 300 Mhz Rev 1 Motherboard Dvd Burning Problem

stevemachelp

Registered
I can not find an external DVD burner that will work with my mac. Tried two supposedly mac compatible Lacie and Otherworld Computing Mercury drives and both had problems and had to be returned. Here are the hardware details and things I have tried so far...

Hardware>
Macintosh Blue/white 300 mhz with Rev 1 motherboard
CPU processor upgrade zif G4 600 mhz installed and running fine (problem existed prior to this upgrade with original processor as well- I thought the new speedier processor would solve the problem but has not)
40 gig IBM internal hard drive connected to the original Rev 1 motherboard controller (plenty free space on drive which is partitioned into two parts-I copy files FROM either partition)
Over 800 megs ram
OS X 10.3.9 running smoothly other than this problem. Mac firmware was upgraded prior to Panther installation.

Burning software (all tried and failed)>
Toast Titanium v6.1.1
Dragon Burn
Portfolio image database
OS X burning

Errors encountered (on cd or dvd burns)>
Burns fail either during burn or during verification.
Failure so severe burner freezes and you have to force quite Toast and turn off the power to burner.
Burner installed via firewire or USB2.0 internal card-both show same problem. Also 2 firewire drives seem to slow down when burner is turned on (i.e. takes 10-15 seconds to copy 1 meg data to them from internal drive)
Tried various speeds and media on both DVD and CD and problem still exists. I get buffer underrun and sense key errors from Toast. Sometimes I get a complete burn but then it freezes on verification step. Sometimes the disk seems good afterward but usually I end up with coasters. I know the burners I tried are ok because they work fine on a different G4 mac in my office.
I am wondering if the Rev 1 motherboard could be part of the problem. I found out the hard way that the first Blue/White models had this less than perfect controller when I tried to add a second internal slave drive and all drives crashed after a few days. It was then that I researched and saw the story of the early rev1 board controllers.
Another thought that I had was that perhaps the power supply was starting to go bad. The problem is that everything else seems to work fine... except the hard drives act up when the burner is turned on. I'm wondering if the power demand of my wall outlet could be overused. I have a lot of devices running off of the same 2 jack outlet. I tried the burner running on a different wall jack however and the problem did not resolve. I have an older QPC CD burner rated at 4x speed and it usually works fine both on burn and verification steps. It doesn't even have buffer underrun protection but seems to work ok most of the time. I do digital photography and desktop publishing and need a faster way to burn CD's and possible DVD as well for archiving. My current 4x cd burner is not sufficient. I considered that if the Rev1 board HD controller is at fault I could try adding a PCI ATA card and connecting the internal drive that way to bypass the troublesome controller but don't want to spend even more money unless I'm sure it's the likely reason for the problem. Can you help me with this vexing problem. Everything else works fine except this one issue and I'd hate to have to buy a whole new mac just to burn cd's faster than 4x. Thank you for any help you can offer.

It's true that the revision 1 B&W G3 machines did not support more than one internal hard drive on the internal ATA/33 bus. A workaround is to purchase a PCI ATA controller card (like the Sonnet Tempo ATA/133, which I highly recommend), and then you can install up to four hard drives. It's a limitation (bug?) of the motherboard's ATA controller. Revision 2 machines don't have this bug/limitation. If you're looking for good hard drive performance, I would highly suggest a PCI ATA card -- you'll notice a marked difference in hard drive access time and throughput.

However -- I don't think this is the problem with your external DVD burners. I'm assuming you're using FireWire burners... using a USB burner on the B&W's slow, built-in USB 1.1 interface just isn't feasible -- I don't think USB 1.1 can supply data fast enough to a DVD burner to even burn at 1x.

The FireWire implementation on the B&W (and PCI graphics G4 computers) is crappy, and that's being nice about it. My iPod syncs at USB 1.1-like speeds when connected to the internal FireWire ports of my computer (your computer has the same FireWire implementation), so I purchased a decent, name-brand FireWire PCI card for about $40. Problem solved. Syncs are good and fast, like FireWire 400 should be. From what I understand, certain newer FireWire devices are not as compatible with the B&W & PCI G4 internal FireWire implementations as they should be, and suffer from extremely slow transfers.

This may help in your situation -- if you've got a spare $30 - $40 to gamble, it's worth a shot. I purchased this card:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=314358&pfp=SEARCH

No drivers necessary -- just plug it in, and it's recognized.

You may find that cheaper cards may work as well, but it's a gamble, and the one mentioned above advertises Macintosh compatibility.

I see you've also tried USB 2.0, and it's strange that DVD burning does not work with that, either. What brand and kind of media are you using, and have you tried a different, possibly higher quality brand?

Back