Macintosh Power PC One 225

Faisal

Registered
Hello

I am new to MAC OS. I got a Power PC One 225 From a Second Hand shop. When I run the OS, Its ask for a network password. There are options like Finder, Shutdown and one more. I don't know the password so I try to install a New OS on that system. I put the MAC OSX 10.3 CD on the CD-ROM. Now the system don't give display. It starts but the display isn't coming.

Can Anyone tell what I have done wrong?
Do it support OS 10.3?

Please tell me step by step as I am new to MAC.

Thanks in Advance.......

Regards

Faisal

I have no idea what a "Power PC One 225" is, but if it predates the blue & white G3 machines, then you cannot load Mac OS X 10.3 or newer on it without help.

Check out XPostFacto from versiontracker.com for installing OS X on unsupported machines.

I am thinking it might be a clone, like a umax or powercomputing or something of that nature. Diablo is right that if it is a beige machine that you will have a chance with X using XPF, but it will not allow it to run on all beige machines.

Faisal said:
Hello

I am new to MAC OS. I got a Power PC One 225 From a Second Hand shop. When I run the OS, Its ask for a network password. There are options like Finder, Shutdown and one more. I don't know the password so I try to install a New OS on that system. I put the MAC OSX 10.3 CD on the CD-ROM. Now the system don't give display. It starts but the display isn't coming.

Can Anyone tell what I have done wrong?
Do it support OS 10.3?

Please tell me step by step as I am new to MAC.

Thanks in Advance.......

Regards

Faisal
OK, what is a PowerPC One 225? On this site is a list of every Apple computer ever made. Which one corresponds to your model? I have a feeling that you bought a PowerPC computer manufactured by a company other than Apple. I think that your computer runs Linux, not MacOS X.

If the 225 refers to clock speed, then it's definitely not capable of running OS X. OS X will only run on G3 machines or better, and the slowest G3 machines ran at 233MHz.

My guess is that it's a clone. Is there a company logo anywhere on it? Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure you can't install OS X on it, at least not without some tricks. 9.2 should install, though.

That sounds like a Power Computing Mac clone, especially given the MHz speed. It could be a PowerBase, PowerTower Pro, or another Power Computing model. I don't think any of the other clone makers had those speeds, especially since most of them were rehashed Power Macintosh 4400s. The Motorola StarMax series, Umax Cxxx series, APS, Mactell, and any other clone other than Power Computing (although some Power Computing clones fall in this category) were rehashings of the same motherboard in the Power Macintosh 4400.

And no, these machines will not run Mac OS X even if you tried (maybe if you got a CPU upgrade, but it would still be slow if it even ran). Linux or Mac OS Classic would be your best bet on those old Mac clones.

nixgeek said:
That sounds like a Power Computing Mac clone, especially given the MHz speed. It could be a PowerBase, PowerTower Pro, or another Power Computing model. I don't think any of the other clone makers had those speeds, especially since most of them were rehashed Power Macintosh 4400s. The Motorola StarMax series, Umax Cxxx series, APS, Mactell, and any other clone other than Power Computing (although some Power Computing clones fall in this category) were rehashings of the same motherboard in the Power Macintosh 4400.

And no, these machines will not run Mac OS X even if you tried (maybe if you got a CPU upgrade, but it would still be slow if it even ran). Linux or Mac OS Classic would be your best bet on those old Mac clones.
It appears as though Faisal's computer is an all-in-one Power Mac 5500. It is not listed on the Apple History site, but it can be found here. It may be possible to run MacOS X on it, but I doubt it. I certainly don't think it would be worth it.

No Mac OS X on the 603e machines... You'll need some version of Mac OS 9 for such a machine.

If it's a Powercomputing PowerTower Pro running a 604e at 225 MHz, then XPostFacto could maybe get an earlier version of OS X to run.

MisterMe said:
It appears as though Faisal's computer is an all-in-one Power Mac 5500. It is not listed on the Apple History site, but it can be found here. It may be possible to run MacOS X on it, but I doubt it. I certainly don't think it would be worth it.

Thats the machine I am talking about.

How can I solve my problem of Installing New OS as the Display is not coming after putting the MAC OSX 10.3 CD. I have two machines with the same problem.

Waiting For Your Help......

Regards

You cannot put OS X 10.3 on there at all.

I do not know if that machine supports OS X at all. If it does, you'll need to obtain earlier releases of OS X.

I think you can go up to OS 9.1 on that machine.

Yep, 9.1 is the latest supported system software for a 5500. You have to find that software. Try a computer dealer that has Apple computers. They still might have an old copy of 9.1 ready.

Faisal, if I were you I wouldn't even bother attempting to install OS X, let alone 10.3, on that machine. It just won't happen. That computer is just too old to support anything and if it did install, it would be DOG slow. I recommend trying to purchase a used Power Mac G4 or a new Mac mini and use OS X on that. Both would be very inexpensive especially now, and you could run OS X without any hacks.

You might want to give Yellow Dog Linux or another desktop-oriented Linux distro a try on that Power Mac. Just make sure you can max out all the RAM and maybe install a larger hard drive if you have any to spare. My StarMax is currently running with 128 MB or RAM and a 10 gigabyte hard drive. I have Debian Linux and Mac OS 9.1 installed and it runs somewhat decently. I'm sure if I upgrade the cache to 512k and the RAM to 160 MB it would be a little faster. You might have some more options on that 5500 for upgrading than I do, since it's a different motherboard than the one the StarMax has.

Faisal said:
Thats the machine I am talking about.

How can I solve my problem of Installing New OS as the Display is not coming after putting the MAC OSX 10.3 CD. I have two machines with the same problem.

Waiting For Your Help......

Regards
frye is correct. You will need to secure a MacOS 7.6, 8.x, or 9.0 or 9.1 CD. Boot your computers from that CD to restore the video display and working OS. Your only hope for installing MaOS X on the PM 5500 is to use XpostFacto. As others have recommended, however, your best bet is to install MacOS 9.1 on your computer and be satisfied with that. Your computer will work well until you acquire a computer that is capable of running MacOS X.

The Display Problem is solved. I have download the manual and I have done the Logic Board Reset and Cuda Chip Reset.

But It is asking again for Network Password.

How I can Reset the Netword Password. If I got the OS 9.1, Will I be able to Remove the Network Password by booting from CD.

How can I obtain the MacTest Pro for Power Macintosh to check the hardware of the system.

Thanks For all the Suggestions you give me but I have only purchased for learning and as soon I found a better one. I will exchange.

Thanks Again.

One Problem left. i.e. Network Password Removal

chevy said:
My experience with an old PPC machine was that the limit is 8.6.
Well, here is Apple's compatibility guide for Mac OS 8/9 (the PowerTower Pro 225 is equivalent to a 9500* on that guide) and here is where you go if you want to install past 9.1 on unsupported hardware.

That having been said... I personally like Mac OS 8.6 better than Mac OS 9.x. I have Mac OS 8.1 running on my Quadra 950 (that is as high as it is going to go without replacing the logic board with one from a 9150), and Mac OS 8.6 running on my 8100 (which has a G3/500 in it) and my PowerBook Duo 2300. All my pre-G3 PCI Macs (a 7500, two 8500s and a PowerTower Pro 225) are for Rhapsody stuff. I don't have Mac OS 9.x being used for operating system duties on any of my systems.

I don't think I would go as far as to say that 9 doesn't run well on earlier (pre-G3) systems, I just think that 8.6 manages the resources better and stays out of the way... and doesn't feel as unstable as 9.x either.

* Oddly the 9500 is missing from the compatibility guide, but it is the same as the compatibility of the 8500. The PowerTower Pro 225 uses the same video card that Apple sold with most 9500s, the ixMicro TwinTurbo 128M.

We came to the conclusion that he has a Power Macintosh 5500/225, not a clone.

The link you provided for the OS 9 compatibility is for installing OS 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 on unsupported hardware, not OS 9.1. OS 9.1 is compatible with his hardware. He could go with 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 on his hardware with the link you provided -- I've actually done it to an old 7600, and it works great -- install OS 9.1 normally, then use the helper to get 9.2.1 and 9.2.2.

Back