MacMini in a car!

I wonder if the system still works when the car starts driving and shaking. And how is it with the heat in that dash locker?

I just bought a 2002 jetta 1.8t and has a very similar interior... hmm, maybe I will have to trick mine out like that...

Scores 10/10 on my "Wow I'm impressed" scale
Scores 9/10 on my "Wow that's pointless" scale

Perhaps it's useful for someone who spends too much time in their car? Can't be healthy. Or maybe too much money?

That'll invalidate his warranty you know :p

padishahemperor said:
Scores 10/10 on my "Wow I'm impressed" scale
Scores 9/10 on my "Wow that's pointless" scale

Perhaps it's useful for someone who spends too much time in their car? Can't be healthy. Or maybe too much money?

That'll invalidate his warranty you know :p

actually, with bluetooth on that mac mini or a connection to a Sierra wireless aircard, he can go online anywhere. I used my powerbook and my bluetooth T616 cellphone to browse the web and check email when I was in the middle of nowhere* on the freeway. (I wasn't driving). With an internet access and setup with a web browser, he can get driving directions, weather and who knows what!

*nowhere that has a cell signal

i agree, i think his craftsmanship on the project is superb.

Nice! Just the first of many of these kinds of installs I'm sure. Waiting for the mount kits to appear with the whole shooting match already made for ya.

Think about it. THere are alot of tuners who spend $2000 on a DVD player for their car. This guy got a whole computer for that kind of money.

I'd be concerned with theft, vibration, that sort of thing.

But how cool would it be to park your car in the driveway and update your MP3s.

Apple should team up with Alpine or somebody else to create the real thing. A dock for the Mac mini (so you can actually also use the computer at home, at the office etc.) in the glove department with a special (but beautiful) user interface on a touchscreen. Keep it simple.

I was also thinking about the idea of a dock. Not just for cars but also for home. I bring my mini to work sometimes and it's a pain to fish all the cables from behind my G4 that fall after I unplug it.

They used to have the DuoDock laptops, wonder if they are scared of the dock idea now.

The heat and theft (part of it) may be solved by the elegant design of the system. Since the i/o cables are pretty much attached to the back of the MiniMac in a non-permanent manner, the system can be removed in summer heat or winter cold. A really neat modification of this design would allow for the MiniMac to be inserted into the glovebox holder like an iPod into a dock (easy in/easy out).
Still, this is a fantastic design.

Back