MacOS X keeps crashing

Cheryl said:
And we learn from our young stupidity. Before we judge, give the benefit of the doubt that there must be a reason for the action. ;)

hes yet to post a followup for a few days so it is my belief that the reasons for his actions was to give himself something to troll about.

kendall said:
os x's swap file is 80MB. the system cant create multiple swap files. if a app was to run amuck, os x wouldnt create multiple swap files because of it. if it did, the app would likely be some sort of virus that has compromised the systems integrity.

The system will create as many swap files as it needs. Mine has had as many as three, but normally, I never have more than one. In fact, you always have one.

OS X will create another swap file as needed, and continue the process. However, I do believe you are correct in saying that any single, one application will not cause the OS to spawn more and more swap files -- the OS is too smart for that and probably has checks in place to make sure that one application doesn't go nuts consuming all memory, and all NEW, unique memory on top of that (which would normally cause a multiple swap file scenario).

Back