MacPro will not boot to Windows installer

DeltaMac

Tech
This is different, and I have tried a search here, maybe someone can point out where to look...

MacPro - 4GB, dual SuperDrives, 4 500 GB hard drives 3.0 8-core system, all shipped from Apple. (Early 2008 MacPro model) OSX 10.5.6

Trying to install Windows, first using BootCamp.
The Bootcamp creates the partition, then asks for the Windows installer CD, which is recognized, then I restart to begin the Windows install, and the system simply goes to a white screen, I can hear the optical drive begin to start, then it shuts down, and doesn't boot to that installer CD. It's a standard OEM/builder WinXP/sp2 installer that should work. I've used the same disk, and the same type of Windows installer 40 or 50 times. It's what we sell to those users that want WindowsXP on their Mac.
But, it won't boot this MacPro. I have other Windows installer CDs, and even have a Dell installer, all with WinXP SP2.
Tried also a Windows 7 installer, which is the free download from MS. and no difference. Any Windows installer will not boot this MacPro.

Disconnected the 2nd Superdrive, no change.
Disconnected the 1st SuperDrive, no change.
Tried to setup BootCamp on one of the other internal HDs, which is permitted on the MacPro, no difference.
Tried to set up BootCamp on the same drive as OS X (my first choice, actually), and no change.

Keep in mind that OS X boots and runs great, and no problems there, it's simply Windows.
It gets better! I tried both Parallels, then VMWare, and no go.
Well, VMWare actually installed windows, but it took 22 hours! AND, using VMWare to run Windows is horrible, with long lags when dropping menus, and impossibly long launch times for any applications - 15 or 20 minutes or more.
VMWare support has nothing to contribute, and Apple's initial refusal to even look at the Macpro at a Genius bar took some 'arm twisting' through Apple's customer relations. And, they reloaded the present system firmware, and a lot of other testing. Of course, OS X is running just fine, and is ONLY a Windows issue.
Sorry for the long post, but I tried to hit the high spots.
By the way, the MacPro still refuses to boot to a Windows installer with NO hard drives installed, still the white screen, and doesn't even get far enough to show an error that there's no drive to install to!
Don't forget - same response with any optical drive, and any hard drive (or NO hard drive), just simply stops REAL early in the boot process, and you can hear the optical drive spin up then down, then nothing.
Lots of resets /reseats, etc.

The ONLY possibility, I am not at the same location, and the only unusual external hardware is that the video-VGA is attached to a TV, and not a usual computer monitor. I've heard of strange problems through HDMI, but what about the TV through VGA? The site has no standard computer monitors that I can discover. BUT, why would a TV prevent ANY booting to a Windows installer, or make Windows, even if installed, run horribly slowly?

Any takers?

HI i have been having the same problem on my mac pro.

Reading your post , gave me the idea to remove my black magic graphics card and my extra ati radeon..giving me only the card the mac shipped with.

and at last after 3 days of head scratching , i am sitting here watching windows install on my mac - so yes - remove all your external video cards and i hope it works for you

I trust that you and the OP both understand that you do not have the right to install the OEM version of Windows on your Mac or on any other computer. Only OEMs are so legally entitled. You should be using the retail version.

hey mister me - i trust people appreciate your patronising tone - i certainly do not - if you want clarification in regards to my practice - ask. Rather then the tone you have chosen to employ.

There's two types of Windows installers that are referred to as OEM. One is that installer customized for an OEM, such as DELL or HP. Those will often have the OEM name (DELL) on the label, and will typically not work as an install on a Boot Camp partition. The other is the OEM/builder version - essentially a 'white box' installer that comes direct from Microsoft (and AFAIK, is classed as a retail version - for system builders). It is a version that can't be transferred to another system, Microsoft won't transfer the license to another PC, in the event that you move the system to another PC.
Our shop purchases those builder versions for use with Boot Camp partitions, and I have installed dozens with no difficulty.
This particular MacPro was a real nasty beast, with no additional hardware, other than the owner was choosing to connect to a TV, and not a computer display
The issue was eventually resolved, I think, by connecting to a normal VGA display.

Buttdog (hard not to be patronizing with that name, eh?) - I was apparently the object of that little diatribe, as you didn't mention anything about the source of your installer, and I did... Glad you could use my info to get your system working!

Back