Macs never do this, but PC's do it all the time

SCrossman,

AMD chips have indeed resided inside Apple computers at one time or another. Yesterday a very old PowerMac (tower configeration) was put in the junk pile in the chemistry department. I went scavenging inside for memory, hard drives, etc...only find that it was raided by the previous owners. Inside was an IBM stamped PowerPC 601 soldered to the motherboard. Right next to it was a very large AMD chip of unknown function. Intel also makes smaller chips that are inside my PowerBook 520c. I have not found any chips to date with AMD or Intel in my B&W PowerMac G3. Apple may be using another supplier or the functions of those chips are not required anymore.

If you'd like to see the AMD chips just look at any mac with SCSI!

Intel = AGP , PCI

As for the person that knows my age (I don't know how) that's been doing this longer than my 16 years (GREAT!) good for you! I still don't understand how old you are has anything to do with the parts in a mac.....oh well.

and no I didn't forget NeXT, I just didn't want to print the whole *NIX tree in this thread. (We have it hanging in our MDF/Server room,and man it's long!)

Only old chips huh....hmmm G4's old? (one of the production runs anyway)

Anyway just trying to clear up some questions asked by various posters. Thanks for the responses (well from a few) ;0)

Peace.

for the person that knows my age (I don't know how)
Uh, that information is publicly available in your profile, since you entered your birthday.

There's a profile button below each post that you make...

Originally posted by bookem
It happens in Opera on Windows also. I'm trying to move away from Windows completely on this PC - if there was something for Linux or OSX that reads Exchange mail, I'd no longer need it at all.

Ximian Evolution for Linux
Microsoft Outlook for Mac OS (9.x or Classic)
Microsoft Entourage 10 if the server's using IMAP

What are you waiting for?

Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
yes... please explain how it's the worst designed port ever.... just wondering...

USB is Rectangular. Meaning it's more likely to be stuck in the slot upside down before the person realizes to turn it over. FireWire is not rectangular. It has the two cut off corners to help you tell which way it goes in. Other ports that are badly designed are round ones like Mac serial, ADB and PS/2. Good ports are the trapezoidal ones like the PC Serial, Monitor ports, SCSI, anything NOT rectangular or round. Something that can be told which way to "Stick it in" by glancing at it.

and Jasoco... i'm waiting to see "Lair 3"!

It's coming. As soon as I get my new iMac.

Originally posted by Jasoco
FireWire is not rectangular. It has the two cut off corners to help you tell which way it goes in.
Yep, and it has been tested for some years before by kids on their gameboy :D

I never heard of a broken Gameboy connector, so it seems to work really great.

Originally posted by Jasoco

USB is Rectangular. Meaning it's more likely to be stuck in the slot upside down before the person realizes to turn it over. FireWire is not rectangular. It has the two cut off corners to help you tell which way it goes in. Other ports that are badly designed are round ones like Mac serial, ADB and PS/2. Good ports are the trapezoidal ones like the PC Serial, Monitor ports, SCSI, anything NOT rectangular or round. Something that can be told which way to "Stick it in" by glancing at it.

True, it is annoying that USB connectors are rectangular. But at least it has the inside white things that have to go opposite of each other to sort of guide it in. Only saving grace. :) PS/2 is horrible for connecting when you aren't staring straight at it.

Originally posted by hazmat
PS/2 is horrible for connecting when you aren't staring straight at it.

Tell me about it. Sometimes staring at it won't help. It just won't go in. Especially if the port or connector's made badly and one is slightly smaller and it's a tight fit.

Hmmmm, I never said that my profile was correct! Once again someone going on what they THINK is truth. I never put where I live or anything else (sometimes I'm a girl, an old man, whatever) it's kinda fun to play "Who Am I?" . I guess I'm here for the computers and not the "Personal" stuff.

I use proxies as well :0)

Back