Mail 4.1 question

gphillipk

Registered
I've copied the apple mail folder containing mbox files from my old mac running 10.3.9. I've imported the files into Mail 4.1 and all mails are in the 'import' folder. I've copied what was in the imported inbox into the new inbox. How do I prevent the mail app. from downloading all the messages again from my pop account the first time I take the mailbox online?

Perhaps the solution is to not put all the imported mail in your main inbox just yet. Put it back in another folder and bring the account online. Wait for all the mail to be downloaded and then delete it. Then, move in the desired inbox items from the alternate folder.

That'd mean my effort to import the old mailboxes was in vain. Isn't there a nifty option that'd allow Mail to build an index and when syncing with the pop account, only download what isn't already in the inbox?

Open Mail and then choose the menu item File. In the drop-down select "Import Mailboxes". This is to bring into the older mail boxes.

To reindex Mail, quit it first. Then Navigate to the folder /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail and delta the file "Envelope Index".

To speed up mail, if you have years worth of saved mail, follow the MacWorld article "A possible fix for a slow Mail app".

Mail indexes everything anyway. There's no turning that feature off. I just don't know what Mail will actually do, whether it will recognize the messages already there or not. If you fully migrated from Panther to Snow Leopard, it would probably remember, but it sounds like you imported rather than migrating, so you probably didn't capture any files that contained information about what messages had previously been downloaded. I also just haven't worked with a POP account in a long time.

So, here's an alternative, keep a copy of the imported messages in another folder. If they're in the Inbox now, select all and Option+drag to another folder. Then take your account online and see whether messages get duplicated. If they don't, great! If they do, you can delete everything and then move the backup Inbox back in.

I just noticed something rather strange - Mail wants to re-download abt 80% of messages already in the inbox. How do I prevent this?

If you must stop this download, you can do so in the Activity window. But as I said before, I think you should let it download whatever it wants, then delete everything, then restore the Inbox from your backup in the Import folder or by reimporting the mailbox file again.

Back