Mail.app 2 or Thunderbird 2?

twister

Howdy
I've been using Thunderbird 2 for quite some time now and I'm happy with everything except 1 thing; fonts.

It seems that what I see on screen when I compose an email and what Outlook users see when they get an email is completely different. So bad, that as a designer, I feel embarrassed. Outlook fonts are either a different font face or much larger.

I want all fonts to look the same regardless of who the receiver is.

Even though the font issue is big, I've got some great plugins in Thunderbird and it's working well.

Do you feel it's worth it to convert everything? Or ignore the font issue?

I'm running 10.4 on the machine in question.

Thanks

(Fellow designer here)

Remember that shared fonts between macs and pcs are very limited. Try to think of the lowest common denominator as a web page. Use fonts like Georgia, Arial, Trebuchet, and Verdana. I know they aren't very creative, but all PC computers in the entire world have these fonts and you can't go wrong with them.

If you start using your more "designy" fonts your PC recipients of your emails won't view them in anything but the above mentioned fonts.

Hope that helps!

Agreed. But Thunderbird doesn't set a font size based on pixel or point. It's smaller or bigger. So what looks like Arial 11 on my screen looks like Arial 14 on Outlook 2007 when received. Not cool.

Example:
Thunderbird Font
Outlook Font

Understood, but you don't have much control over that, if at all. A user can set their font to be whatever their computer has and totally override the one you've set. Too big a problem to get around.

Have you thought about creating an HTML email? You can send it yourself through Mail, and I think Thunderbird can manage it as well. All links have to be absolute (starting with http://www.) rather than relative, and styles would need to be "inline" (no linked css, all styles in the html itself).

This seems like your best solution at this point.

Thunderbird doesn't set a font size based on pixel or point. It's smaller or bigger. So what looks like Arial 11 on my screen looks like Arial 14 on Outlook 2007

T-Bird is Eudora in more modern clothes. I use Eudora and the option for font size is, like you say, smaller or larger. If you know the difference between the size you're composing with, and what the Win readers see, then make necessary adjustments. Equally (equivalently?) when I get emails from my Win clients, I darn near need a magnifying glass to read them (thanks OE - not!).

If you like pleasant font style that is compatible between Mac & Win, add Comic Sans MS and to those already mentioned by Nato. And there's always good ol' Times New Roman. Say what you like about it, but for official typed communication it is good - easily read.

Please tell me you didn't just mention Comic Sans as a good font to use? :)

BTW, moving to NZ in November this year and am very excited! Married to a kiwi and our daughter is already; time to become one myself! Noizyland...

Please tell me you didn't just mention Comic Sans as a good font to use? :)

No, you were seeing things! I simply pointed out that it is compatible with Win. I like Comic Sans. :p

BTW, moving to NZ in November this year and am very excited! Married to a kiwi and our daughter is already; time to become one myself! Noizyland...

Well, well, welcome in anticipation of your arrival. Have you practised speaking Niu Zild? Apparently the Neanderthals spoke like we do :eek: Your good lady wife can teach you how to butcher vowels with consummate skill.

If it's not an impertinent question, in which part of the country do you plan to settle [use PM if you'd rather]. From my sig, you can see that I live in the Mainland, south of the ditch (Cook Str). We tolerate those who live further north, and supply them with electricity.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm going to continue to do some testing and see what can come up with.

Any additional thoughts are welcome. :)

What about setting Thunderbird to compose emails in a plain-text format instead of RTF? That way, whomever receives the email will receive it in a plain-text format and the display of the email would be determined by the recipient's font settings for plain-text.

If you use plain-text, even if you compose an email and set Thunderbird to display it as 72pt, the recipient will still see the email with whatever settings their email client is set up for.

That's a good idea, but I like to use bolding and link phrases. Plain text isn't for me... at this time.

I did do some testing though, and Mail.app has the same issue. I guess it's hard to beat Outlook's stupid defaults. :(

I still may move to Mail.app though. Maybe.

What about setting Thunderbird to compose emails in a plain-text format instead of RTF? That way, whomever receives the email will receive it in a plain-text format and the display of the email would be determined by the recipient's font settings for plain-text.

If you use plain-text, even if you compose an email and set Thunderbird to display it as 72pt, the recipient will still see the email with whatever settings their email client is set up for.

This gives even LESS control over the look of the email...

From original post: "I want all fonts to look the same regardless of who the receiver is."

I think I figured it out. It seems that signatures hold the font and size. So I put a few returns before my signature and type in there. Wa la. At least I think I've got it all figured out. ;)

This gives even LESS control over the look of the email...

From original post: "I want all fonts to look the same regardless of who the receiver is."
In my opinion, using plain-text gives absolute control over the "look" of the email -- it'll be words and sentences, and the recipient's system will display exactly those words and sentences.

Having an email look the same across the board, regardless of receiver, regardless of platform, regardless of email client is absolutely impossible, just like making a web page look exactly the same on all browsers, on all machines, on all platforms is impossible (unless you use nothing but images and strictly-defined tables, which is unacceptable web design, and even then, text-based browsers like lynx won't display the images).

Even if you use HTML emails and strict font declarations, there are recipients out there that have their email clients configured to override these settings (like me -- absolutely no HTML emails, because email was never designed for "beautification" with HTML, and if I wanted to look at something pretty in HTML, the sender should send me a web page link -- not embed the web page in an email).

Not to mention that not all systems use the same fonts -- there isn't a single font in the world that is guaranteed to exist in the same, exact format on Linux, UNIX, Mac OS X nor Windows. Sure, you can pick a font that might be present on 80% of the recipients you choose to send to, but there isn't any way at all to guarantee that when you use a certain font that it exists on the recipient's system.

The short answer is that it is impossible to guarantee exactly how the email will look on the recipient's end. Using nothing but plain-text, though, gives you the most "purity" of email, ensures that the actual content of the email is exactly what you intended, and using plain-text ensures that nothing is lost in the translation and transmission of the email. What you type is what they receive, and if they want to read emails with Courier 12pt instead of Monaco 10pt, that's the end-user's decision -- not the sender's.

I realize that HTML email is so common now that it's almost taken for granted, but it's a hack and a bolt-on to the original intended purpose of email. It would be a great advantage, though, if you intend on sending "pretty" email, to understand that email was never designed for that kind of content in the first place, and attempts to do so will never satisfy 100% of the recipients (although most -- not all -- email clients will display HTML emails similarly). The only guaranteed thing with email is the text itself, and, while this is my own opinion (and, also, the opinion of the inventors of what we know as email), the sender should not be dictating the format of the text that appears on the recipient's end.

Just a few cents worth of defense and rambling there; FWIW.

Last edited:
Back