Mail.app Encryption / problems

evildan

Super Moderator
I recently installed panther on all the machines in our design department. After the installation, I transferred all the OS9 settings / bookmarks / email that I could and was on my way.

Apparently, after a fresh install, Mail.app has been acting up on everyone's machine. The problems started with Mail.app not deciphering the mail to, from and body. The list appears as greek text. It reads as a random string of characters.

This occurs randomly. After the program is restarted everything works fine. This, for the moment is a fine work-around. But eventually I'd like the calls to my desk to stop regarding this issue. I recently tried to duplicate this issue on one of my work machines, with little success. The only thing I can think of is that I imported email from Outlook Express (os 9). But the encryption occurs on both imported and new email, so it seems to be more of a Mail.app issue then anything else.

I've tried to repair permissions, but that doesn't seem to have an effect. Restarting the application is the only way to fix the problem.

Any suggestions?

Also, today a new problem popped up with one of the other machines. Trashing email instantly deletes it. We're all on POP accounts and the setting is set to move deleted items to a separate folder is checked. There just doesn't seem to be a way to store items in the trash.

This is necessary, because the user frequently makes the mistake of clicking "delete" and wants a second chance to recover the emails.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I know this sounds almost to simple. Have you tried to throw out the Mail Preference on the affected machines - User Home Folder->Library->Preferences->com.apple.mail.plist ? The import might have corrupted the preference files. Warning though, this is only a guess.

I believe Outlook uses its own system for handling certificates, but to have them work in Mail you need to install the certificates in Keychain Access.

but again, if this email was imported, and the "encryption" is deciphered some of the time, then why is Mail.app doing this only some of the time?

I used the word encryption, as that's what it looks like to me. It could very well be something else. I'm unclear why Mail.app won't read the information properly, then after restarting the application it decides to correctly display the information.

As I said in my original post, it also seems to be effecting newly received email just as it did imported email, so I'm not 100% sure importing has anything to do with it. I only mentioned it because it was the thing that was different between the affected machines and the unaffected ones.

Again: I'd try to trash the prefs for Mail.app (doesn't affect the mailboxes, I believe...).

Was wondering if anyone noticed that after 10.3.8, Mail seems to have forgotten that certificates existed...

Back