Mail.app extraneous outgoing mail servers

kermit64

Registered
in mail.app -> file -> preferences, under the account "pane" you click on edit and a sheet comes down which contains a pop up list of outgoing mail servers. this list looks like a collection of all the outgoing mail servers you've ever used or tried to use.
the "problem" is i can't remove outgoing mail servers from this list, or can't figure out how.

anyone know?

There should be a Remove button there on the right side.

Add Account
Edit
Remove

Did you try selecting an unused server, click on options and deleting the server info? I'm not sure if that will help, but deleting the info may also delete that entry...

yeah there is in the accounts pane, but if you click on edit for one of the accounts, then a sheet drops down with all the info for that account and you have to specify your outgoing server.
can you delete servers from that list?

Yeah, you're right. The info is probably in a plist file somewhere. Mail prefs, internet config prefs, network prefs, a couple of other possibles.

Found it! Click HERE for info about removing unused SMTP servers.

It does work, I cleaned my list out !

Glad I could help. That function is actually in Mail, and, as you know, an Applescript is in your system to access that function. Might be worthwhile to examine the other Scripts in that same folder, you might find some other good timesavers, as well as hints on how to make your own Applescripts to do many of your routine tasks on the Mac. Many of the apps in your system have features that can be accessed with Applescript, which may not be mentioned in program menus or other info. That's not to hide them from public view (although there are some 'dangerous' commands to run from Applescript), but allow users at many levels the opportunity to discover control elements that allow fine tuning of your system experience. Not everyone operates at the same level, or has a need to do some of the things you do. Good Hunting!

Back