Mail.app NO I don't want to use you!!!!!

MDLarson

Registered
OK, this really pisses me off...

Apple Mail is the default email program in Mac OS X (I'm running 10.4.2). But I want to use Entourage instead (mainly due to the stupid way Mail handles attachments).

So if I want to change the default email application from Mail to Entourage, I have to open up Mail. This should be a setting in System Preferences.

Furthermore, I can't just open up Mail and just quick make the change. I have to create a complete working email account in Mail just to get away from Mail. The fact that I don't remember my POP password complicates issues. So, I have to update my POP password, setup a new account in Mail, get Mail to release the Preferences menu, change the default program to Entourage, quit Mail, change my POP password in Entourage to the new password, and get on with life.

As long as I'm bitching and moaning, "Mail" is a horrible name for an email program.

Just needed to vent.....................................................

Mail is a perfectly simple and clear name for an E-Mail app in my opinion. Pleases me. But then I _do_ use it. I agree that Apple should've left the internet helper application controls in SysPrefs rather than put them into the default apps' prefs. However: Just get "More Internet" prefs panel. It's free IIRC and does what you want: Put those controls (and more) into SysPrefs.

fryke said:
Mail is a perfectly simple and clear name for an E-Mail app in my opinion. Pleases me. But then I _do_ use it. I agree that Apple should've left the internet helper application controls in SysPrefs rather than put them into the default apps' prefs. However: Just get "More Internet" prefs panel. It's free IIRC and does what you want: Put those controls (and more) into SysPrefs.

As much as I find the whole iName thing kinda silly, I think it would work for Mail.

When I google a problem in Mail, I have to type such things as "Mail.app" and that rarely helps, so at the end of the day instead of typing "iMail [problem] I have to type "Mail.app Mac OS X [problem]" and that rarely helps.

Plus, not everyone refers to it as Mail.app, so that makes it harder to find in support databases.

But it's personal preference. :)

If you only had to type "iMail" then you would only have to type "Mail.app"... not "Mail.app Mac OS X". Mail.app is only available for Mac OS X, so it should be as unique as iMail.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
If you only had to type "iMail" then you would only have to type "Mail.app"... not "Mail.app Mac OS X". Mail.app is only available for Mac OS X, so it should be as unique as iMail.

But many people, when posting helpful info, don't refer to it as Mail.app.

Just Mail. So this makes it harder to find.

fryke said:
I forget exactly when Apple took away the Internet Pref Pane (10.1 -> 10.2 or 10.2 -> 10.3).

However when that happend I simply copied the Pref Pane from my old OS to the new one and it continues to function fine to this day. It's burried under /System/Library/PreferncePanes.

I'm sure More Internet is probably better, but I thought I'd mention this as another alternative to those who have older OS X installations sitting around on backup drives.

IMHO Apple ought to simply remake the standalone InternetConfig tool they had in OS 9 and earlier. It was the cleanest simplest way to edit all IC settings in one place. Keeping Web/Email specific settings in Safari/Mail, would not way conflict with that.

fryke said:
I agree that Apple should've left the internet helper application controls in SysPrefs rather than put them into the default apps' prefs. However: Just get "More Internet" prefs panel. It's free IIRC and does what you want: Put those controls (and more) into SysPrefs.
Thanks for the tip. I did do a quick search for something on VersionTracker.com, but nothing turned up. I will keep that in mind for the next time this happens.

While I agree with your sentiments for "Mail.app" in that it's perfectly clear and simple, it really only would work if Mail.app was the only email program in existence. It's kind of like renaming the "U.S. Postal Service" to "Mail". Perfectly descriptive, but also somehow perfectly vague.

Back