Mail.app not decoding attachments!

boutwell

Registered
I am trying to use Apple Mail as my Exchange client (I have Paralells but its eating up all my RAM and Entourage is just too slow). Everythign is working great other than the fact that it will not decode any of the attachments. Every single one shows up as a MIME attachment.

I have read many threads here about problems actually sending out MIME encoded files and the trouible therin but I did not find anythign about Mail not decoding attachments that it is receiving.

I have scoured the web and the app prefs to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? System is a Macbook Pro 17 with 2GB of RAM.

Thanks all,

Boutwell

This begs the question: Who is sending you these emails and which email client is he using?

Another question: Do you know what the attachments are supposed to be?

The mail clients vary from Outlook 2000, XP, and 2003 to various webmail clients. It's a global issue...not limited to a single sender. Out of a 3GB mailbox, I can't open a single attachment in Mail.app using the Exchange interface.

Most of the attachments are JPEGs, Word docs, and PDFs. It's not limiting by attachment either though. It's Exchange 2003 if that makes a difference.

Hi, I have the exact same problem. I also just installed Mail to host my exchange account, and it does not read a single attachment, other than saying it's a MIME-attachment. In my case this indeed concerns all kinds of users and all kinds of documents.
It's been a while since the last posting on this thread - could it be that in the mean time anyone founf the solution?
Sincerely hoping this is the case,
stefanie

I never found a solution :(

I went back to using Entourage until MS releases the new version of Office. Hopefully that one will fit the bill since its supposed to be a UB.

In mail, under the "View" menu, select "Message" > "Raw Source".
Provide us as much "safe" information as possible for the effected attachments, including anything it might say about that attachment in the header.
Copy the information, paste it into the forum thread's reply field (and obfuscate [hide with "X"s, or just delete...] any server and user account information) any information related to the attachment's mime type (multipart or whatever), encoding, file name extensions, what have you, related to the attachment.

Again. We do not need (and probably should not see) server info, or account info, and perhaps not even file "names".

Here's an obfuscated example:
Code:
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v752.2)
To: Announcement List <XXXXX@XXXXX.XXX>
Message-Id: <bunchawhackycode@XXXXX.XXX>
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=Apple-Mail-61-425936653
Subject: stuff
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:53:01 -0800
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.752.2)
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-0.1 required=5.0 tests=AWL,BAYES_00,BIZ_TLD 
	autolearn=no version=3.0.2

--Apple-Mail-61-425936653
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Type: image/jpeg;
	x-mac-type=4A504547;
	x-unix-mode=0644;
	name=somefile.jpg
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=somefile.jpg

<bunchmorewhackycode>

--Apple-Mail-61-425936653
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
	boundary=Apple-Mail-62-425936655

It will take a little while to prepare this information for our perusal, but it could be much more informative.

Back