Mail.app problem with gmail

Racquelle

Registered
Every now and again I get a message from Mail.app saying asking me to enter my gmail password as the login using the saved password failed. I then enter my password ( the same one that is saved ) and it works. However, I've noticed that some of the emails in my gmail account are not downloaded to mail.app, so I have to go to gmail.com to check that I have not missed any emails, which makes mail.app pretty pointless.
Anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Also, I can't use smtp.gmail.com as my outgoing server, as it never sends my emails. I have never had these gmail problems with Thunderbird before, using the same account settings.

It could also be that Mail is checking for new mail too often (once a minute or so), causing the server to say, "Hey, quit checking that often!".

Try setting Mail.app's "Check for new mail every" option to something less frequent and see if that helps.

Thx, I seem to have the smtp problem sorted now., but I don't know if I'm getting all the emails.
"Check for new mail" is set at the default, 5 minutes. Shouldn't be a problem should it?

It shouldn't be a problem at all, but then again, I am not Google, so I can't say what an acceptable interval would be for sure.

If you're curious about the acceptable mail-checking interval for gmail accounts, that question would best be posed to Google. I highly doubt that 5 minutes is too frequent, though.

Back