Mail Backup/Mirror

pguelpa

Registered
Does anyone know how to completely mirror the Mail program to another machine? What I'm trying to do is be able to sync all the messages between my desktop and laptop. Although I seem to be able to copy all the messages and mailboxes and they show up, I can't copy the "profiles". So anything in my "In", "Out", "Sent" or "Drafts" folders aren't copied. Is there some way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might be able to give me,

Paul

The best way to do this is to use IMAP instead of POP3, and then configure your mailers to store Sent Items and Drafts and Deletes Items on the IMAP folders instead of locally. IMAP (Internet Mail Access Protocol) stores all of your mail on a remote server, and keeps it there, using your mailer jus to grab the headers and body of the message, but the actual email stays on the server; unlike POP3 (Post Office Protocol) where the messages are usually downloaded from the server and then deleted. Apple Mail, Microsoft Entourage, and most mail clients worth their salt support IMAP.

With IMAP you can have complete access to all your mail, all the time, since it's all stored on a server and not on one computer. Most email providers support IMAP email boxes, but you'll have to ask first.

Alternatively you can just use a regular POP3 mailbox, and set your mailer to Leave Messages on Server (or whatever equivalent your mailer has). Then you can have access at least to your inbox (but nothing else).

The problem if I do it this way is that I have to go back through all the e-mail I have received and re-file it in the different folders, and figure out which ones I have looked at and responded to and which ones I need to do still. Since it isn't all the time that I use my laptop I could have around 300 messages each time I re-download the messages from the server.

I really need a way to mirror the entire mail message structure.

Any other ideas?

Back