Mail frozen for one user only

joolz21

Registered
Help!

My apple mail has frozen - I cannot click on anything within the application nor on the menu bar.
I can force it to quit, but no joy when restarting.
All other applications seem fine and the other user on this Mac has a functioning apple mail.
I can also get my email working on my laptop.

I have reinstalled OS X Mountain Lion with no solution.

Any suggestions please?

On the affected Mac I sure hope you have everything out of your Inbox and also have the email server settings written down somewhere. I say this because you can reset Mail and it blow away the saved email server settings and remove anything in the Inbox. (saved email won't be touched). So follow these steps:

1. Quit all running programs.
2. Click on the bare desktop until the Finder menu bar appears.
3. Hold down the 'option' key while clicking on the menu item 'Go' and select 'Library'.
4. Scrool down the 'Preferences' folder and in there find the file 'com.apple.mail.plist' and move to the desktop.
5. After closing all the open finder windows and launch Maul again and then in Mail manually add all the email server information again.

This should fix email startup problems unless you have an errant Mail plugin installed and your fix for that is to remove all those email plugins.

On the affected Mac I sure hope you have everything out of your Inbox and also have the email server settings written down somewhere. I say this because you can reset Mail and it blow away the saved email server settings and remove anything in the Inbox. (saved email won't be touched). So follow these steps:

1. Quit all running programs.
2. Click on the bare desktop until the Finder menu bar appears.
3. Hold down the 'option' key while clicking on the menu item 'Go' and select 'Library'.
4. Scrool down the 'Preferences' folder and in there find the file 'com.apple.mail.plist' and move to the desktop.
5. After closing all the open finder windows and launch Maul again and then in Mail manually add all the email server information again.

This should fix email startup problems unless you have an errant Mail plugin installed and your fix for that is to remove all those email plugins.

Thank you so much Satcomer! I now have working email again.
Curiously I did not find the file within the preferences folder but within the 'containers' file, but once I knew what to look for I did a search on the file name in spotlight and Bingo!
Thankfully, I don't seem to have lost my settings either.

Back