Mail help please....

crookedhouse

Registered
Hi...

I have been a Mac user since SEs and used to do software support etc - but I am stuck... it's probably really obvious - but I can't send emails via Mail...

I am using an iMac on OSX 10.1.5 and Mail version 1.1.1

Although I used to be able to - I can no longer send mail...

I have 2 separate email accounts - one with subsidiary email address...

We are connected via broadband. One of our email addresses was set up when we had a dial up account with the provider - so I suspect that I can send emails from that account because we no longer dial up to them. (although I still dowload messages from there) - when I try to send a message I get told that the provider hasn't recognised the recipient od the email.

The other account is via our broadband prvider and I can't send messages through this address either.... I have checked and rechecked the settings and they are all correct... I don't get a message with this one - it just doesn't go anywhere - just stays in the outbox...

I have tried to give up on Mail - but when I downloaded Eudora it installs - but then quits out as soon as I open it.... and I don't trust anything else...

Any advice, help something please please please....

Well, a few routine checks you could try are to repair permissions (go to Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility->Repair Permissions) and to make sure you have the latest version installed (run Software Update from SystemPreferences).

I suppose that if you checked and rechecked the settings, they should indeed be all correct, but still I think you might have overlooked something perhaps.

I have been using Mail for a long time and never had any problems. Good luck, hope this helps a bit.

crookedhouse said:
The other account is via our broadband prvider and I can't send messages through this address either.... I have checked and rechecked the settings and they are all correct... I don't get a message with this one - it just doesn't go anywhere - just stays in the outbox...

Which broadband provider? I've used Mail since 10.1.x and the only times I've had problems (touching wood with every available part of body) it's been the ISP's fault not mine, although Mail can't distinguish – one of my accounts was constantly refusing me access and I cursed Mail roundly until it turned out to be ntl's fault. Can you access your mail OK on the provider's website?

Have you got another user account set up? If you have, is Mail OK in that account or is the problem the same? If not, it's worth setting one up to help rule out things like corrupt user prefs.

Cat said:
Well, a few routine checks you could try are to repair permissions (go to Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility->Repair Permissions) and to make sure you have the latest version installed (run Software Update from SystemPreferences).

Umm.... on OS X 10.1.5? There is no Repair Permissions in Disk Utility in 10.1.5.

Yeah, when I hear this I tend to think it's a problem residing at the ISP.

Just because your settings are correct, doesn't mean your email sending will work.

When you check your email, all you need is login access to the mail server. Most of the time you can check your email from any internet connection.

Sending your email is a different story all together. Primarily because ISPs got tired of people spoofing email addresses and sending out spam. So in order to service their customers and shut out the spam, some ISPs require authentication. Authentication options are available in Mail.app.

You may not have had to do this before, primarily because you were connecting with the service provider that the email was through. But, even with authentication checked and the proper settings, your ISP could still be restricting you from sending email, simply because you're using a different internet connection.

That doesn't explain why your broadband connection isn't allowing you to send email. This could be something completely different.

Here are a couple of options for you to consider.

1) See if your ISP offers web mail. Access it and try to send / receive emails.
If you can't it's an account limitation... contact your ISP to resolve it.

2) Try a demo email sender. Go to version tracker and download a free email client. Try to send email from that account.

3) Verify authentication. Some ISPs require that you use your email username/pass, but others give you a completely different user / pass for authentication. Make sure you're using the right information - if at all.

4) Check SSL. Some ISPs require a Secure Socket Layer connection. Others don't. Be sure you're using the right connection for sending.

Out of the box Mail.app assumes you don't need a SSL or that you need to authenticate. Some email programs automatically attempt authentication (with your email username / pass), but modern email programs don't -- if I'm not mistaken.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Umm.... on OS X 10.1.5? There is no Repair Permissions in Disk Utility in 10.1.5.

If that is so, then I am sorry for suggesting it. I jumped from OS 9 directly to 10.2 (Jaguar). I assumed that there would have been a Disk First Aid/Disk Utility with permission repair also in 10.1.

Thanks for all the advice - I can send emails via the internet using the account - but I will trey and get help from Telewest - they don't know about Macs and their stock answer is 'try re-installing the system software' reagrdless of teh problwm - AND they charge me 50p per minute to tell me that!

I will keep on at them though - I got a load of call charges efunded last time they were crap so i can try again...

thanks

Lou

crookedhouse said:
Thanks for all the advice - I can send emails via the internet using the account - but I will trey and get help from Telewest - they don't know about Macs and their stock answer is 'try re-installing the system software' reagrdless of teh problwm - AND they charge me 50p per minute to tell me that!

Have you ever been able to send via the broadband account with Mail?

Did you trash the preferences before you tried setting up again? If you didn't it wouldn't help resetting them anyway. And have you tried setting up another user account on your Mac and setting up Mail for that account? It's a pain, but worth trying before you cough up for techie support.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but I know from bitter experience how easy it is to get one tiny thing wrong and end up tearing your hair out, so, in Mail/Preferences/Accounts your settings should look like:

Description: (whatever you want to call the account)
Email address: yourname@yourISP.com (or uk, or whatever)
Full name: Your Name

Incoming mail server: pop.yourISP.whatever
User name: yourname (exactly as it is in the first part of your email address)
Password: (.....)

Outgoing server – smtp.yourISP.whatever

I feel your pain about broadband tech support. ntl have barely heard of OS9, let alone OSX. Yet they always used to use iMacs on all their advertising.

I once had a similar problem after changing security settings (authentication tru pasword control) when sending e-mail... suddenly I couldn't sent e-mails any more until I played around again.

havr tried all of the above... no joy as yet... but thanks for all the advice... my husband thinks that we should just reinstall... but that is such a pain! ho hum....

And maybe treat yourself to Panther? Mail is much improved from 10.1.x and it would make reinstalling less of a pain to have a shiny new system at the end of it ... ;)

Back