Mail not sending from "mail" since lion, and another question.

zofiava

Registered
Since I upgraded to lion, my mail will not send from the mail program. I can send mail from my iphone and iPad, just not my iMac's mail program.

What can I do to fix this?

Also, I cannot seem to my ical to accept my google password, when trying to add google calendars to ical. It says it's wrong, when I am positive it's not. I was so excited because Lion seemed to fix my ical syncing issues I was having, with my mobile devices.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Thanks, I guess I will mess with that. I don't understand why this upgrade would change my server stuff, no other ones before ever did.

Blah, it's saying my server is offline, which it never was before, and I have everything checked the way it's supposed to be checked.

So, after deleting some file, in an attempt to fix this, mail wouldn't open. I reinstalled lion, and for about 3 minutes, my mail sent! All the outboxed stuff went. Then my server went back to offline, and I am back where I started. sad.

I have found that sometimes, (like with google/gmail) the server will bump you off the SMTP server for accessing it too many times - it thinks you are a spammer.

OS X Mail sees this as a password fail, and gives you one chance to correct it. If you don't change anything, it will just fail and keep you offline. usually waiting a few minutes, opening the setting and confirming the SMTP password, then going back 'online' puts things back to normal.

What causes my regular smtp email server for MobileMe to turn my account into a "would be spammer" account, causing me to re-verify my credentials for the smtp? Seems like bad programming, quite honestly. It's apparently catching too many normal users...like me! This is complete frustrating after upgrading to Lion.

What causes my regular smtp email server for MobileMe to turn my account into a "would be spammer" account, causing me to re-verify my credentials for the smtp? Seems like bad programming, quite honestly. It's apparently catching too many normal users...like me! This is complete frustrating after upgrading to Lion.
In court, this statement would not be allowed because you are assuming facts not in evidence. You have given absolutely no information about your email setup--nothing about your SMTP server, nothing about anything except the fact that you have a MobileMe account.

Three things:
  1. MobileMe is not your ISP. It is common practice for ISPs to block access to SMTP servers outside the domain of the ISP.
  2. You do not need to use your email account's SMTP server. You may use any SMTP server to which you have access to send your messages from any of your email accounts.
  3. In most cases, you may access a SMTP server from outside its domain via authenticated SMTP Port 587. The blocked SMTP port mentioned above is unauthenticated SMTP Port 25.
Your mileage may vary.

In court, this statement would not be allowed because you are assuming facts not in evidence. You have given absolutely no information about your email setup--nothing about your SMTP server, nothing about anything except the fact that you have a MobileMe account.

Three things:
MobileMe is not your ISP. It is common practice for ISPs to block access to SMTP servers outside the domain of the ISP.
You do not need to use your email account's SMTP server. You may use any SMTP server to which you have access to send your messages from any of your email accounts.
In most cases, you may access a SMTP server from outside its domain via authenticated SMTP Port 587. The blocked SMTP port mentioned above is unauthenticated SMTP Port 25.
Your mileage may vary.

Lion installed. Mail problem with sending. Performed usual fix permissions, etc. Mail problem with sending. Search Inet. Find many others with same general problem. Read on macosx.com forum could be issue with smtp, trying, and spam-like filters kicking in. Again, Lion install...Mail problems. Not a programmer. Wondering about release quality of Mail, or linked software in OS Lion.

Again sorry.

I came across this with my lion Upgrades also. I quickly fixed it by open Mail and Mail's Preferences. Then in Mail Preferences select the 'Accounts' and select the toggle for 'Outgoing Mail Server (SMPT): and finally select your send email server. In the drop-down highlight the send email server and click on the 'Advanced' tab and make sure you username/password is set (according to your email server settings).

The Lion upgrade delete my MoblieMe SMTP settings for some reason. I hope this can help your situation.

Back