Mail refuses to quit

27 houdini's

guy with great hairdo
After the last security update, my computer got messed up so i reinstalled the OS (10.4.9 powerbook g4) But still Mail refuses to quit. I killed the prefs file, but it did not help.

Is there anything else i can do to restore the app?

After the last security update, my computer got messed up so i reinstalled the OS (10.4.9 powerbook g4) But still Mail refuses to quit. I killed the prefs file, but it did not help.

Is there anything else i can do to restore the app?

Sometimes I also have this problem, but then it turns out to be a problem with the connection to a mailbox which for some reason hangs (usual temporary not available or hard to connect). Check out which email account is causing the hanging of the mail application.

Or does this also happens with NO accounts created ?

Good luck, Kees.

Open up the Activity Viewer in Mail (Command-0 [zero] I believe) and take a look and see if any processes and/or email actions are still active when you try and quit.

What can I say...

I ran disk warrior, mainMenu, replaced the mail and mail downloads folders with backups, replaced the prefs file, used pacifist to reinstall Mail (didn't help), reinstalled the OS (archive and install) but things just got worse; mail newer than 2005 totally disappeared, on a fresh install mind you, and all of this because my computer didn't start up after the last security update...

Then I decided to do a clean install and spend 10 hours reinstalling/updating other software (of which 5 hours on installing/updating the damned Adobe CS2 suite, enter your admin password every minute, the updater stalling every five minutes, what a drag)

Which brings me to the point: why doesn't apple make it easier to reinstall native apps like mail, addressbook etc because every time I was forced to reinstall the OS, it was one of these apps not working. Seems kinda stupid and M$ like to force users to reinstall the whole system if just one app is not working. But maybe that's just me complaining....

Apple does make it easier to reinstall these apps. See Custom Installs

With systems prior to 10.4, you could use Pacifist to extract these apps from the Installer disc.

Back