Mail rule to copy message.

Whitehill

Registered
I have four mail accounts dumping into my inbox. I want to create a rule which takes each incoming message from one account only, copies it to a folder, but leaves it in the inbox as well. I have created a rule using the action "Copy to folder", but it behaves as "Move to folder" - that is, nothing is left in the inbox.

What do I need here?

Do you use a separate email address for this account? I say if then you can modify that rule to accept only email to your email sever address.

Do you use a separate email address for this account? I say if then you can modify that rule to accept only email to your email sever address.

Yes; and my rule's IF clause is "account is the one I'm interested in". That said ...

I think this was pilot error. Sure wouldn't be the first time. My new rule is near the top of the list and later rules move most of the messages to appropriate folders. So nothing was left in the inbox because that's what I told it to do. Presumably I can stop this behavior by adding the action "stop evaluating rules".

This little project is to try to handle a weird problem. The account in question is iCloud and shared on my desktop and my wife's iPad. If she reads a message before I do, it appears unread on my system; if she deletes a message, I never see it at all. And vice versa. The account is mine, mostly, so I just want to make sure I see things and have the chance to chuck them myself.

Hi Whitehill, the problem with rules is:
they only work on messages the computer has downloaded.

So, you could leave your computer on and have it check email automatically every single minute, so it's not likely that one won't be downloaded to the ipad and deleted before you get a chance to d/l it to the desktop.

Also, if you have the account type setup as IMAP not POP on the desktop then set=up on the ipad go to "Settings > Mail > Select the account > select account again > select Advanced > then under "Mailbox Behaviors" make sure it says "Deleted Mailbox = Trash" then this way when you rwife deletes a message on the ipad, you can at least browse in the trash folder for that account on the desktop and make sure it was nothing you needed, unfortunately i don't see a rule to act on the trash folder... b/c then you could mark it somehow else.

Back