Mail sends pictures in..

Reality

Registered
Mail sends pictures in..a MIME formate. :confused: Though they can be originally sent from my Mac in a JPG formate the person who receives it, gets them in MIME formate and her computer can't read it. I found this to only happen when I use the Mail app in OS Xv 2.7. I can use hotmail (like I want to) to send picture and they go throw just fine. So really I thought I ask here before calling Apple Care or anything thing like that and see if there was a simple reason why it's doing that. Here is what I know that might help.

1. I have Roadrunner Broadband and use their e-mail account they gave me for free on my Mail app.

2. The person I try to send pics to runs Windows XP.

3. To send the picture through a e-mail I just drag and drop it in the message box. (not sure if that means anything or not)

So how I'm looking at it, it's my ISP e-mail account that is changing them or Mail. I'd really appreciate any replies, advice, or bullets :D anyone can provide me with. Thanks.

Hmm... well, MIME really isn't a format at all -- it's a description of the format of the file.

I had similar problems trying to send multiple files to a person, since Mail kept trying to mangle them or something. Can you send a single file by itself and have it go through? The problem may be with sending multiple files.

seems to me like either
a) you have incorrect MIME settings, or
b) the other person no idea what she is doing.
you may get an attachment called parts.mime or something, depending on the other client. try sending a jpg to a different user on winxp. i doubt it is mail.app. more likely a simple user error.

Doesn't Mail actually encore the attachments into the AppleDouble format? If that is so, the recipient should receive two attachments, only one of which should work.

Andre

odd. MIME is totally the way to go though. If she can't read a jpeg that comes in as mime, it would seem to be her (machine's) fault. I haven't heard of roadrunner messing up stuff in an e-mail, but I suppose anything is possible. I do a ton of cross platform e-mail work, largely with Eudora, and mime is the way to go. And I haven't seen mail.app mangle an attachment yet. But, perhaps I'm just lucky. I've seen it crap a brick trying to do LDAP lookups, but never had a problem with attachments.

It'd be neat to try a different mail server. I remember 10beta offered to use localhost as the smtp server, anyone still do that? Is that still an option? Does that require felating sendmail and sacrificing a chicken now?

Back