Major Problem!

Sweetblood

Registered
I have a 30GB video ipod with about 2500 songs on it. I plugged it into my computer then I went to my ipod and there was no songs in it but there was space used up. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of and it is not working. When I do add more songs onto it is uses up more space, but none of my songs come back. I've used up about 8GB and that is how much space there is taken up on my ipod still. Though When I eject it there is nothing. Please help, I feel like I am about to cry....

Are you using it on the same computer that you loaded the iPod with? If not, that's provbably why. I haven't done it before, but I believe that you have to authorize the computer you're using now to use the songs on that iPod. Again, I'm not exactly sure as I've only used my iPod with my iMac G5 and nothing else, but someone with more experience can probably assist better here.

well, i don't know about the new ipods, but my old one shows up on any itunes, and lists the songs that are on it. but you can't select them or play them. <enter rant-- but there was a time where you could play the songs off the ipod from a different library, but apple took that feature out!!! i was so mad. i still havn't figured out if it was an itunes or ipod update that took that away. --end rant> anywho, i would use the ipod updater and have it set your ipod to factory fresh settings, and start anew with the itunes library that it will can home. remember that it can only can one home normally.

I've seen this problem with my 60GB photo model, and a simple iPod reset did the trick (hold down "Menu" and the center select button until the iPod resets).

This may or may not help, but your problem sounds similar to the one I had.

i have the same problem with my 20G ipod. it says the songs are there but they wont show up (still the space is used). please let me know if you find out what the problem is. i miss my music aswell

i have a 60G photo ipod and have suddenly come across the same problem talked about here. has anyone found a way to fix their ipod without completely resetting it? i would rather not completely erase the ipod since i don't have the original songs on the computer anymore. thanks in advance!

The reset won't erase the songs on the iPod, it will just reset the iPod settings.
In answer to Sinclair, iTunes won't let you play the songs on your iPod UNLESS i Pod Preferences are set to manually update songs and playlists rather than automatically update them

Is your music still part of your iTunes Library? If so, then your music still exists on your hard drive. Therefore, you can reformat your iPod and resync your iPod to that music library.

If your music is not in iTunes anywhere and your iPod is your only source, then I would recommend using a shareware/freeware app (found on www.versiontracker.com, under iPod to Mac transfer) to transfer your music FROM your iPod TO your PC/Mac. Then you can reimport your music into an iTunes Music Library, reformat your iPod and then resync your iPod to the music library.

If you need more details, please let me know. It is not as difficult as it may sound.

Thanks, Styx. I think I will try transferring the songs onto my ipod using one of those apps. iTunes doesn't read the music files as part of my library, although at the bottom of the iTunes interface the size reflects the actual (used up) memory- so weird. I'm just afraid of using one of those apps and inadvertently erasing all my songs! That would be 5 years of hard work gone! Hopefully this works *fingers crossed* !!

Thanks, Styx. I think I will try transferring the songs onto my ipod using one of those apps. iTunes doesn't read the music files as part of my library, although at the bottom of the iTunes interface the size reflects the actual (used up) memory- so weird. I'm just afraid of using one of those apps and inadvertently erasing all my songs! That would be 5 years of hard work gone! Hopefully this works *fingers crossed* !!

Try using the following...
http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/

I have used this before and it worked the best, for me.

Back