Make a bootable USB stick

Matsaki

Registered
I have a new Crucial M4 SSD HDD, but just found out they have a new firmware to it. The firmware comes an an ISO file and should be burned to a CD to be booted from.

My optical drive is broken, and I was looking for a way to use my USB stick to install the ISO on and install it from there. Is that advisable and how is it done?

Thanks!

Download your ISO.
Boot your Mac.
Open Disk Utility.
Click the Restore tab, and drag your .iso to the source line.
Drag your flash drive to the destination line, and click restore.
That should make your flash drive bootable to the firmware update, assuming it's a bootable on you Mac model. You get to try it out, eh?

Thanks for the advice, but something goes wrong?

dump.jpg

Thanks for the advice, but something goes wrong?

dump.jpg

You need to repartition the usb stick as GUID and reformat it as Mac OS Extended (journaled). Right now it obviously partitioned as MBR and you can see from your picture its the wrong format.

Will you get that 'invalid source' error, if the problem is the fat32 destination?
Seems like a good thing to try, however.

You need to repartition the usb stick as GUID and reformat it as Mac OS Extended (journaled).

Sorry, bu what do you mean by "repartition as GUIDE"? I have made a format of the USB stick in the Erase part section and chosen OS Extended (journaled). I also tried MS-DOS (FAT) with no success.

That's GUID, not GUIDE.
Disk Utility, then click your device (the Kingston line), and then click the Partition tab.
Click the Partition Layout drop down, and choose "1 partition"
click the Options button, and choose GUID Partition table, and click OK.
Format should be MacOS Extended. The Journaled option is OK, but not necessary here.
Click the Apply button. Should only take a few seconds, and you're done.

Thanks for the tutorial. I still get
Could not validate source - Invalid argument

So I guess there is a problem with the ISO source. Maybe it only works to burn a CD from it for some reason?

Thanks for the tutorial. I still get

So I guess there is a problem with the ISO source. Maybe it only works to burn a CD from it for some reason?

You now need to convert the .iso to a .dmg. Sorry...missed as the source was an iso. OSX doesn't know what to do with it. It needs to be a .dmg

I found my old InstallESD.dmg and tried same procedure with that, and it worked. I will take the firmware ISO to a computer with a working CD burner tomorrow just to see if it works then.

Thanks for all the help!

I found a tutorial to make a bootable USB for this firmware, but for windows. Maybe this can make some sense what I have to do on Mac and what software to use if there are any available?

(It's a firmware update for my SSD hard drive, and my superdrive is broken so I can not burn a CD for the update.)

Option 2: Create a Bootable USB Drive
Note: To use this option, your system must support boot from
USB.
1. Start with a newly formatted USB drive (256MB or
greater).
2. Open a USB installer program. If you do not have a USB
installer program, you may download a free USB installer
program such as, for example, the Universal USB Installer
(available at www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usbinstaller-
easy-as-1-2-3/).
3. You may need to click through a security dialogue and/or
license agreement.
4. If you are using the Universal USB Installer, then:
• At the Step 1 drop down box, scroll to the bottom and select
the last option: Try Unlisted Linux ISO .
• Go to Step 2 and browse to the firmware ISO that you
downloaded earlier.
• Go to Step 3 and select the flash drive on which you want to
install the ISO.
• Click the Create button and click Format E:\Drive (Erases
Content). Answer Yes to the warning about overwriting your
USB drive.
• A sequence of screens will appear and disappear; when that
finishes, the USB drive is loaded.

Back