makewhatis: usr/man/share/man3 no such file or directory

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I see the above message when I run the "All Tasks" in MacJanitor. It doesn't show up the the log when I only run the "Daily Tasks." What's it mean? Anything to worry about?

Also, my Console log shows a /Library/Applications/MacHelp/Contents... "bad index file" and the Help Viewer was really slow and unexpectedly quit. Then I ran a permissions repair and rebooted and checked my Console log again and it didn't show the "bad index files" anymore and now everything seems to be working fine.

Did my computer correct itself or should I be doing something?

It is nothing to worry about. The program was just looking for a Sharing volume (if you share files to another computer) and could not find it. The preference file for Help was becoming corrupted.

If ever have Help (the Apple Application "Help") problems then here is the process of fixing it. Just go to ~/Library/Preferences/ and throw out the preference file: com.apple.help.plist . Then re-launch Help and it will go back to normal.

Satcomer said:
It is nothing to worry about. The program was just looking for a Sharing volume (if you share files to another computer) and could not find it. The preference file for Help was becoming corrupted.

If ever have Help (the Apple Application "Help") problems then here is the process of fixing it. Just go to ~/Library/Preferences/ and throw out the preference file: com.apple.help.plist . Then re-launch Help and it will go back to normal.

Thank you so much for your reply! You've helped to quell my paranoia. So, there's no harm in trashing preference files for any application? My computer will automatically recreate the preference files next time the application is launched? Can I do this for any application that I have trouble with or just for Help Viewer?

Also: No, I don't share my files with another computer. This is the only computer I use. So, what was that "man/share" thing?

One more thing (maybe you can help with this as well): Everytime I wake my computer or boot it up I get a "sound assertion error!" message in my Console log. What does this mean?

Oh, one more thing (sorry! LOL): Is there any harm in using Disk Utility to repair permissions as a weekly maintenance tool, even if everything seems to be running smoothly? Or should I only repair permissions if I'm having problems with something?

Thanks again for your help.

Amie said:
Can I do this for any application that I have trouble with or just for Help Viewer?

This can be done for 99% of your Applications.

Amie said:
Also: No, I don't share my files with another computer. This is the only computer I use. So, what was that "man/share" thing?

The application was just looking for a file in case you have sharing on. The application was just reporting a file doesn't exists because you don't share. Think of the application with a certain set of instructions. A lot of people do share files so the program has a set of instructions to look in case of that.

Amie said:
One more thing (maybe you can help with this as well): Everytime I wake my computer or boot it up I get a "sound assertion error!" message in my Console log. What does this mean?

Something in you core audio is not quite right. Did you do a fresh 10.4 install or an upgrade? My advice is play with your Sound System Preference settings. Also, a re-install will not be needed. Just with the next 10.4.x Apple upgrade, don't use the Software update to get it. Mosey over to the Apple site (about a day after the 10.4.2 release) and download combination update. This update is designed to replace files that would be updated. These styles of updates are usually larger than the update versions. This situation makes the updates more robust.

Amie said:
Oh, one more thing (sorry! LOL): Is there any harm in using Disk Utility to repair permissions as a weekly maintenance tool, even if everything seems to be running smoothly? Or should I only repair permissions if I'm having problems with something?

Repair Permissions sound be done about every two weeks and after large software installs. This will keep installers (from other company's software) from messing with your system's permissions.

Amie said:
Thanks again for your help.

No problem. I am going to suggest something. I learned a good 70% of my Mac OSX knowledge by read a book from David Pogue in his Missing Manual books called Mac OS X : The Missing Manual. his Tiger edition in coming out later in July. He is an easy reading writer and speaks to the home user. His books will actually be pleasure too read and won't go over a home users head but inform up to a moderate Mac level.

Satcomer said:
This can be done for 99% of your Applications.

The application was just looking for a file in case you have sharing on. The application was just reporting a file doesn't exists because you don't share. Think of the application with a certain set of instructions. A lot of people do share files so the program has a set of instructions to look in case of that.

Something in you core audio is not quite right. Did you do a fresh 10.4 install or an upgrade? My advice is play with your Sound System Preference settings. Also, a re-install will not be needed. Just with the next 10.4.x Apple upgrade, don't use the Software update to get it. Mosey over to the Apple site (about a day after the 10.4.2 release) and download combination update. This update is designed to replace files that would be updated. These styles of updates are usually larger than the update versions. This situation makes the updates more robust.

Repair Permissions sound be done about every two weeks and after large software installs. This will keep installers (from other company's software) from messing with your system's permissions.

No problem. I am going to suggest something. I learned a good 70% of my Mac OSX knowledge by read a book from David Pogue in his Missing Manual books called Mac OS X : The Missing Manual. his Tiger edition in coming out later in July. He is an easy reading writer and speaks to the home user. His books will actually be pleasure too read and won't go over a home users head but inform up to a moderate Mac level.

Wow. You are a gem! Thanks so much for all your help. Greatly appreciated!

By the way, the "sound assertion error 0!" is gone. I ran MacJanitor and repaired permissions, then I shut my computer down to let it rest last night. When I booted up this morning, all error messages were gone! Man, I love the Mac! :)

Thanks for the book recommendation. Actually, after doing days of research at the bookstore, I went with another book: "Mac OS X for Dummies, 7 Books In 1, Panther Edition" by Mark Chambers. It's a very useful book, chock full of information, for both the average Mac user and the techie-geek, which I'm quickly approching that line. :D

I did skim "The Missing Manual" but found it to be ... ah dunno ... rather vague and not detailed about certain issues. The book seems to *cover* and *address* most issues, however it seems to just tell you what's *involved* and/or what the topic at hand *does* ... rather than actually tell you how to *perform* and/or *do* it. That's one thing I like about Mark Chambers' "Mac OS X for Dummies"--it actually takes the reader through step-by-step processes and teaches the reader not only the why's but the how-to's.

At any rate, thanks again for everything. You sound like you work for Apple/Mac! LOL

Amie said:
makewhatis: usr/man/share/man3 no such file or directory
The correct construction of this file path should be "usr/share/man/man3" which is a reference to the third of the nine Unix Manual files. If you open Terminal and enter a man command such as "man makewhatis" (without the quotes of course) it will tell you the command and how to use it. The makewhatis command according to the unix manual:
DESCRIPTION
makewhatis reads all the manual pages contained in the given sections of manpath or the preformatted pages contained in the given sections of catpath. For each page, it writes a line in the whatis database; each line consists of the name of the page and a short description, separated by a dash. The description is extracted using the content of the NAME section of the manual page.​
So in this case, MacJanitor is running the "makewhatis" command to update the "whatis" database and the "man3" file has not been found. The Unix Manual files are in the /usr/share folder because they are shared by all users logged onto your computer.

If the title of this post is correct, the error is not in your system rather it is in the construction of the file path in MacJanitor. On the other hand, if you inadvertently transposed "man" and "share" in your post there is still nothing to be concerned about if the file actually is missing, unless you work from the Terminal command line a lot and make frequent use of the Unix Manual. Then it would be annoying but would not effect normal system use or operation at all.

If you want to verify if the Unix Manual files are present then on the Finder menu select "Go" then choose "Go to folder..." and type in /usr/ and even though the /usr folder is invisible it will open in a Finder window and you can navigate to the Unix manual from there. Or you can enter the full path /usr/share/man/ and you will see all the Unix Manual files and the whatis database file.

perfessor101 said:
The correct construction of this file path should be "usr/share/man/man3" which is a reference to the third of the nine Unix Manual files. If you open Terminal and enter a man command such as "man makewhatis" (without the quotes of course) it will tell you the command and how to use it. The makewhatis command according to the unix manual:

So in this case, MacJanitor is running the "makewhatis" command to update the "whatis" database and the "man3" file has not been found. The Unix Manual files are in the /usr/share folder because they are shared by all users logged onto your computer.

If the title of this post is correct, the error is not in your system rather it is in the construction of the file path in MacJanitor. On the other hand, if you inadvertently transposed "man" and "share" in your post there is still nothing to be concerned about if the file actually is missing, unless you work from the Terminal command line a lot and make frequent use of the Unix Manual. Then it would be annoying but would not effect normal system use or operation at all.

If you want to verify if the Unix Manual files are present then on the Finder menu select "Go" then choose "Go to folder..." and type in /usr/ and even though the /usr folder is invisible it will open in a Finder window and you can navigate to the Unix manual from there. Or you can enter the full path /usr/share/man/ and you will see all the Unix Manual files and the whatis database file.

Wow! You guys are fantastic! Thanks so much for your help! During the six weeks that I've owned my Mac, I've acquired a wealth of knowledge, however, there is *so* much more information for me to learn--but I'm trying! :)

Thanks again for your help. Truly appreciated.

Oh, while I'm here, I might as well as you about this. I had a very bizarre experience the other night--maybe you can provide a theoretical explanation as to what happened. I was logged onto a Wi-Fi Hotspot using my wireless ISP, which is secured and protected using the latest, updated 802.1x protocol. Plus, I always have my firewall turned on and file sharing turned off. (By the way, I use Mac OS X Panther 10.3.9.) While I was at the Hotspot, there were two Hispanic women there with a laptop trying to get hooked up to a Hotspot ISP. They saw me using my laptop and asked me for help on getting started. I pulled up the Web page for them (on their computer, not mine) and helped them, then resumed my own work. I finished my Internet session, closed my laptop and went home. When I got home, I opened my laptop and woke it and was doing some writing when I noticed that my Aiport signal was a tiny bit lit up. And I *never* have an airport signal while inside of my house! So, I clicked on my Airport icon in the menu bar to see what the heck server was there and it was the name MariaEduardo where my usual Hotspot server shows up (when I'm outside my home at a Hotspot). Well, I don't know any Maria Eduardo. The only thing I could think of was that maybe one of the Hispanic women was Maria Eduardo and she was trying to tap into my computer?...

What's your take on this?

Amie said:
What's your take on this?

Welcome to the world of war-driving! ::alien::

You were detecting someone else's network by hopping automatically on it. This person did not have simple security measures on. Drive around with Airport(wireless) on and you will come across a plethora of unsecured wireless signals. When people don't secure their network, ann Tom,Dick or Sally can use their network (if they are in range).

By the way, you can see all the possible networks (than are in range with wireless turned on) with some cool freeware programs. Just follow the search for some on VersionTracker.com.

AMIE said:
Wow! You guys are fantastic! Thanks so much for your help! During the six weeks that I've owned my Mac, I've acquired a wealth of knowledge, however, there is *so* much more information for me to learn--but I'm trying!
There is a lot to learn whether you are transitioning from PCs to Macs or you are new to computers. For new OS X users I always recommend reading either David Pogue's Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition or Robin William's Mac OS X Book, Tiger Edition. Both are well written, profusely illustrated, and easily accessible to the average user. I generally recommend Robin's book to those who are a bit techno-phobic.

Satcomer said:

You were detecting someone else's network by hopping automatically on it. This person did not have simple security measures on. Drive around with Airport(wireless) on and you will come across a plethora of unsecured wireless signals. When people don't secure their network, ann Tom,Dick or Sally can use their network (if they are in range).

By the way, you can see all the possible networks (than are in range with wireless turned on) with some cool freeware programs. Just follow the search for some on VersionTracker.com.

Ohhhh ... so it wasn't *my* security being breached; it was *theirs*! OK, now I feel entirely better. LOL Thank you for clarifying that for me. I didn't *think* my security was at risk because I always have my security preferences set (firewall on, sharing off, etc.), but just wanted to make sure. That person's name showing up on my Aiport icon was driving me NUTS!

And thank you for the link--will check it out!

perfessor101 said:
There is a lot to learn whether you are transitioning from PCs to Macs or you are new to computers. For new OS X users I always recommend reading either David Pogue's Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition or Robin William's Mac OS X Book, Tiger Edition. Both are well written, profusely illustrated, and easily accessible to the average user. I generally recommend Robin's book to those who are a bit techno-phobic.

Been a PC user my whole life. This is my first Mac (I've worked on Macs at the office for years but never had my own personal one, or the time to really explore Mac OS X), and I'm NEVER going back to PCs!

Actually, I found a book even better (in my opinion) than the ones you mentioned: "Mac OS X for Dummies, 7 Books In 1, Panther Edition" by Mark Chambers. Chock full of information--for both the average Mac user and the techie geek. :D

Satcomer said:

By the way, I wouldn't benefit from having any of the freeware on the link (above) if I'm already a subscriber (paying member) to a secure wireless network/Hotspot ... right? I don't drive around looking for wireless access and mooching off others' networks because I have my own, secure, stable network, so I wouldn't need any of that freeware, correct? Besides, if I connected to someone else's unsecure network, wouldn't I be putting myself at risk?

Back