Making a bootable Norton SystemWorks CD with updates?

michaelsanford

Translator, Web Developer
I'm not so happy that when I have to boot from my Norton SystemWorks CD to repair major errors in the filesystem, I have to use a non-updated version from back before they started releasing patches.

Is it possible to install Norton SystemWorks onto a disk image, running it and updating it from the image, and then burning the image each time a new patch comes out? How would this conflict with the LiveUpdate of NSW I have installed on my HD?

Has anyone tried this?

Is it even something I should care about in the first place?

I do have a legitimate copy too :p

You have to download a little software named BootCd from versiontracker.com ...

that's all !!

Cool thanks Zeus, I'll give ti a shot and report back. I'm just a little concerned with the affect of having 2 LiveUpdates going on one machine...

Aah it ONLY works in Jaguar!

I don't have it yet, and it won't arrive for like 6-8 weeks (educational pricing it seems it slow here hehe)...

I once tried boot CD to create a bootable disk image. I tried MANY times actualy. For some reason I was never able to create a CD that worked with my computer, although I was able to do it manualy later. Most people don't have a problem with it.

Also...according to the read me file on BootCD v0.5, "Note: This method works best for stand-alone, self-contained applications such as Drive10; it will not work for Norton, which leaves files all over the hard disk that need to be copied to the image and will not be copied simply by copying the app itself." That would explain why I was unable to get Norton's to work when I tried.

you can but if you are trying to make a bootable cd using an installed Norton's for X you are gonna have to locate and add all files related to it. and there are several of them installed that aren't in the Norton's folder. but I wonder if its possible to install Norton's on the image you make then update it before you burn it? might try that later today.

BootCD -
Doesn't work with Norton but if you added the kernel extesions you may be able to get it to work but don't bother 'cause bootcd is very very slow.

Back with OS9 we would use the Emergency CD's to fix MACs. Since all MACs have FireWire now we just use a FireWire HD to boot from. Making the Boot CD non existent now. It's great since all you have to do is run Live Update and then the FireWire HD is up to date. If you need a second Emergency FireWire HD just use Carbon Copy Cloner to make another.

Back