Making a disk copy of a CD

corimay

PeanutButter
I can't seem to find instructions on the proper way of making a copy of a CD (using the utility, Disk Copy).

With most burning programs you can make an "disk image" - ISO file, then when you burn the ISO, it extracts it. A good way to make sure all your files (and hidden files) are not lost.

I want to know how to do this with Disk Copy. But apparently you can't save .iso disk images. There's got to be a cleaner, more reliable way of making a copy of a CD (I don't find copy/pasting to be safe enough in some cases).

So can someone tell me how to use Disk Copy?

Thanks!

(copied from Apple Help files in your system 10.3)
Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities.
Drag the disk image you want to use to the Disk Utility window if the disk image doesn't appear in the list.
Select the disk image and click Burn.
Insert a CD or DVD disc into the optical drive of your computer and follow the prompts.

There are other instructions for creating disk images in your help files...

How can I get this to open when the disc is inserted? And will this carry the icon I give the disc image over to the icon for the CD? Basically, will whatever i do carry over? I would like to put a image in the background of the window, but i want it to open a specific size on CD insert.

DeltaMac said:
(copied from Apple Help files in your system 10.3)
Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities.
Drag the disk image you want to use to the Disk Utility window if the disk image doesn't appear in the list.
Select the disk image and click Burn.
Insert a CD or DVD disc into the optical drive of your computer and follow the prompts.

There are other instructions for creating disk images in your help files...

Thanks, but I did go through the Help, but it's pretty vague. When I go to New > Image from Folder, there's a drop down "Image Format" -- ready-only, read/write, compressed, DVD/CD Master. Before I start wasting my blank CD-R's, I wanted to know which format i'm supposed to be use -- or better yet, what are the differences?

You're asking for a CD copy, so you'll want to create a DVD/CD Master file (.cdr in Disk Copy or Disk Utility, the latter being the Panther equivalent of Disk Copy). If you create the image from the device (the optical drive the CD is in), everything in the copy will be just like the original (multisession disks, too!).

To answer Urbansory's question: Create a folder that has the specifications you want the CD to have, i.e. 'window is open', 'window has background', icon size etc. Then let Disk Utility (or Disk Copy) create a disk image from that folder. Quite straight-forward, I guess.

Btw.: You can rename any .cdr file to .dmg without problems. Both are accepted by Disk Copy, Disk Utility and the Panther Finder (which opens .dmg's directly).

What you need to do to create a copy of a CD/DVD in disk copy is to go to the file menu, select image from device, select the disk you want to copy, click on the image button and in the drop down menu you need to select CD/DVD Master to create a cd/dvd image which can then be used to burn(file menu>burn image) and should be an exact copy. Use the other formats if you are not intending on burning the image to a CD but for storing on your hard drive (compression) and for circulating through email you might want the image to be read/only(locked) or read/wright if you want to be able to add more files to the image.

Back