making clients login to the server

damo_burns

Registered
got an X Serve running OS X Server 10.4.......... and a heap of Emacs running 10.4. I have the server setup with home directories, etc, etc.... how do I make the client computers look to the server for logins, etc? (and automount home directories) At the moment, the client PCs just have a local "admin" login when you turn them on - how do you make them login with the usernames and passwords on the server?

thanks....

damo

damo_burns said:
got an X Serve running OS X Server 10.4.......... and a heap of Emacs running 10.4. I have the server setup with home directories, etc, etc.... how do I make the client computers look to the server for logins, etc? (and automount home directories) At the moment, the client PCs just have a local "admin" login when you turn them on - how do you make them login with the usernames and passwords on the server?

thanks....

damo

Use Goto to connect to the servers so they appear on the desktop.

Then open your account control panel and select 'startup items'. Drag the drives into the startup items window and on the next user login, the drives will be mounted automatically.

The passwords are stored in the chain.

Kees

I don't think that's quite what he's asking -- I think he's asking how to make clients authenticate with the server, not how to mount server shares.

I think you'll need to read up on LDAP or Active Directory or some server-side authentication scheme if you're not familiar with servers and client machines.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I don't think that's quite what he's asking -- I think he's asking how to make clients authenticate with the server, not how to mount server shares.

I think you'll need to read up on LDAP or Active Directory or some server-side authentication scheme if you're not familiar with servers and client machines.

My part covered the automount for drives. For the rest he will need e.g. LDAP. There are some more threads on this issue, check them out as they contain more or less the same question.

Kees

Back